[SOLVED] RX 570 4GB with non 80+ PSU

Jul 31, 2020
Hi hello
I'm new to this forum and i want to ask a few questions from experts around here

Currently i have this setup:
Core i5-3470 stock
8GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 1050Ti 4GB
WD Blue 500GB
TCL HDTV 24"
Thermaltake Litepower 500w
https://ibb.co/s1s4KK6

Planning to replace my 1050ti and buy a RX 570, my question, is my psu enough? Or should i buy a new one? And oh, regarding RAM, i'll add more 4GB, but im still confused:
-Same manufacturer, same speed (HyperX Fury DDR3 4GB + 8GB 1600Mhz)
Or
-Different manufacturer, same speed (Hynix DDR3 4GB + HyperX Fury DDR3 8GB 1600 Mhz)
Will both of these scenarios above work?

Thanks.

Solution
Do not add the RAM the way you suggested in your initial post.

Typically, RAM is purchased in a 2-stick kit. So, an 8GB kit comes as two 4GB sticks sold together. By selling them together like that, the manufacturer is guaranteeing that they'll work together, and that they'll work in dual-channel mode together.

If you have mismatched RAM, sometimes it just won't work at all. Additionally, if it's just 2 sticks of different sizes, one of three things can happen:
  • it will not work
  • it will work, but only in single channel mode
  • it will work, but only partially in dual channel mode

For that last one: say you have a 4GB stick and an 8GB stick. If dual channel works, it can only work partially. The 4GB stick, and the...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would not recommend it. It's not a matter of the 80+ or not (but 80+ white and non-80+ are generally a good indication that it's a poor quality PSU), as that 80+ thing only speaks to efficiency.

As for Thermaltake:
In MY opinion, Cooler Master and Thermaltake should be completely avoided

They do have a few good units, like some of the Thermaltake Toughpower series models, but most of the models sold by both these companies are either REALLY poor or barely mediocre, and the ones they have that ARE good are usually way overpriced. The Thermaltake TR2 and Litepower series, even the newer revisions, should probably just be avoided altogether, along with the Smart series units, which are simply not good choices for use with gaming systems. If you want to use a Smart series unit with your internet browsing machine or some kind of low powered office box, it's probably ok. Although I'd recommend avoiding them, the Smart series units might be the best available units in some regions. That should not be mistaken for the idea that they are quality units though.

That's from the first link in my signature. I would recommend clicking on it, and reading that first post/write-up thoroughly. A PSU is a SAFETY DEVICE, and a good quality one will protect your components. A poor quality one can fail and take out other components with it. A really low quality one might outright lie about how much power it can provide, and can possibly result in a fire.

As for the RAM upgrade, it depends:
  • How many RAM slots are in your system?
  • Is your current RAM a single 8GB stick, or a pair of matched 4GB sticks?

Reactions: SSFX

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Just wondering, Is your pc prebuilt? Didn’t those thermaltakes only come with prebuilt systems? Or am I mistaken again
It should work... But I would upgrade to at least an 80 plus bronze to be safe

Reactions: SSFX

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would avoid it. It's only 80+ white.

The pandemic, unfortunately, has made even the good budget level PSUs pretty expensive. What country are you buying in? Right now, in the US, the Corsair CX450 (2017) and CX550 (2017) are both going for about $80. They used to generally be $50 or sometimes even lower.

Unfortunately, the reality is that, if you don't have the money for the PSU, then you can't afford the GPU upgrade. The PSU absolutely MUST come first if you don't want to gamble on your system. You're VERY lucky that nothing went wrong with a $15 PSU (I assume that was the price for buying it used rather than new? But I might not be accounting for exchange rates and such)

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Was going to recommend the CX550 as King_V said.

But if you’re really tight, you could get a silverstone essentials bronze, but I would only do that as a last resort. The lower end ones aren’t very good.

Jul 31, 2020
@King_V I live in Indonesia, prices are high, $1 = IDR 14k. A RTX 2080ti cost about IDR 25mil here, insane. You're right, $15 used guess i'll have to buy a new PSU then. Oh if you don't mind, i'm still confused about RAM hehe.

Sold my 1050Ti for $100 and have some leftover money ($30) for RAM, Corsair PSUs are still pretty expensive, but i found a cheap Raidmax RX-500AF 80+ bronze if you guys think it's enough.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do not add the RAM the way you suggested in your initial post.

Typically, RAM is purchased in a 2-stick kit. So, an 8GB kit comes as two 4GB sticks sold together. By selling them together like that, the manufacturer is guaranteeing that they'll work together, and that they'll work in dual-channel mode together.

If you have mismatched RAM, sometimes it just won't work at all. Additionally, if it's just 2 sticks of different sizes, one of three things can happen:
  • it will not work
  • it will work, but only in single channel mode
  • it will work, but only partially in dual channel mode

For that last one: say you have a 4GB stick and an 8GB stick. If dual channel works, it can only work partially. The 4GB stick, and the first 4GB of the 8GB stick will operate in dual channel mode, but the last 4GB on the 8GB stick doesn't have anything to work with, so memory access to that part will only be single channel, and therefore, slower.

I would suggest doing things in this order:
1 - new power supply
2 - RX 570 card
3 - RAM upgrade: but buy a new 2x8GB kit that is compatible with your motherboard. Then when you install the new RAM and confirm it's working, sell off the old RAM.

I made the RAM upgrade the lowest priority because 8GB is still pretty reasonable for most use.

Solution
Jul 31, 2020
Mostly, i play games like Skyrim Special Edition with mods and ENB at 1080p, i thought that 8GB RAM won't be enough, but it seems like i have to skip adding more RAM.

I guess i'll have to buy a new PSU and RX 570 for now.
I'm pretty new into PC world.

Thank you so very much for you guys' very helpful information.

Jul 31, 2020
@King_V One more question i you don't mind hehe
I found these PSUs:
Super Flower SF-500p12a 500w
Super Flower SF-600p12a 600w
Super Flower SF-500p12n SE
Super Flower SF-500p12n 82+

Are these any good? I heard Super Flower PSUs are good.

Reactions: spentshells
Jul 31, 2020
Searched it on local Marketplace, and i found that one of them received good reviews like on this thread:

Still have my doubts tho

@King_V One more question i you don't mind hehe
I found these PSUs:
Super Flower SF-500p12a 500w
Super Flower SF-600p12a 600w
Super Flower SF-500p12n SE
Super Flower SF-500p12n 82+

Are these any good? I heard Super Flower PSUs are good.

OP

Superflower used to be good, but they left my market.

What model of rx570 are you getting?
if it only uses 1 pcie adapter I would say just use your current psu unless it's already 7 years old or something.

Your previous setup put little strain on your system.
Use the money you have to upgrade to a used cpu with hyperthreading. They are quite cheap used on ebay or aliexpress

I see you did not mention the motherboard. I'll assume it is a prebuilt that you scavenged. Thats what I have as well.

so it may not support an e3 xeon like
Intel Xeon E3 1230 V2 3.3GHz
which is like 50 USD on ali express

i7 3770 is around 80. You will notice a big difference vs 4 core 4 thread

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020
OP

Superflower used to be good, but they left my market.

What model of rx570 are you getting?
if it only uses 1 pcie adapter I would say just use your current psu unless it's already 7 years old or something.

Your previous setup put little strain on your system.
Use the money you have to upgrade to a used cpu with hyperthreading. They are quite cheap used on ebay or aliexpress

I see you did not mention the motherboard. I'll assume it is a prebuilt that you scavenged. Thats what I have as well.

so it may not support an e3 xeon like
Intel Xeon E3 1230 V2 3.3GHz
which is like 50 USD on ali express

i7 3770 is around 80. You will notice a big difference vs 4 core 4 thread

Well, unfortunately, i already sold my 1050Ti for $100.
Just like you said, my mainboard is a Lenovo one . I don't think i'll upgrade CPU anytime soon as i'm not playing very demanding games nor i use it for rendering.

Maybe this one:
PowerColor Red Dragon RX 570 OC
or
ASRock Phantom Gaming D RX 570
or Sapphire Nitro as last resort

The asrock version only needs a 6 pin, I say go with that. I have the nitro and went with the 550watt version of the cooler master you posted it was good enough. If you decide to go on the cheap.

If you do not play demanding games why are you choosing to upgrade your gpu.
I like mine mind you. My previous card MSI gtx 670PE was ood enough for me but lacked video ram.

Jul 31, 2020
Hmmm. That will work but I think i'll buy a new good quality PSU, i don't want to risk anything.

1050Ti is a joke, price performance ratio is ridiculous, here you can find a used 1050ti for $130 while you can get a good RX 470 for $80 and RX 570 around $100, on top of that, both 470 and 570 is waaaaay faster than 1050Ti

There's not a single day i don't regret buying 1050Ti, i realized it much too late.