[SOLVED] RX 5700 XT crashing (in some games)

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
System specs:

RAM -- Patriot Viper 4 16gb (2x8) DDR4 3400
CPU -- Ryzen 5 3600
GPU -- ASRock RX 5700 XT
MB -- ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 AM4
Power -- Corsair CV550

I built this PC in April and it works perfectly, except for a couple games: The Division 2 (crashes rarely), Rainbow 6 Siege (crashes every half hour or so), and Ride 4 (crashes every 10 minutes or so). Everything else works fine (Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Mount and Blade Bannerlord).
I've tried reinstalling Windows, updating drivers. I've seen recommendations to DDU to older drivers but the ones recommended seem pretty old now, so I'm hesitant to do that. I thought it might be the PSU (only 550) but that's supposed to be enough.
Also, I don't know if this is relevant, but the RAM is autodetected at 2133 in BIOS. I tried manually it to factory timings but got an instant BSOD on reboot so I've left it alone.

Lastly, I've been considering undervolting the GPU. It's overvolted from factory and bringing it down from ~ 2050mhz to 1820 or so and 1200mv to 950mv (based on user tests in forums).

I've never messed with freq/volt settings on a GPU, though, and would appreciate any advice (how to do it, or to not do it...) New PSU is an option but I'd rather not pay $100 to see if that changes anything. Don't have another PC to swap parts and see what's working. GPU had been RMA'd once (originally both fans ran 100% all the time and it was SO loud) -- got a new card but it was a month long process I'd just as soon avoid. Thanks for any help/advice.

Solution
Change your power supply.

The first link offers a guide as to what to get and what to avoid. It is a must-read.

The second link, well, it DOES show the CV650 and ONLY the 650 from the CV series, as being "it will do" with the caveat of:
I wouldn't use any of the below, but if you're on a really tight budget, they are options. Keep in mind, if you use a high end graphics card like an Nvidia 20 series (Turing) or AMD Vega or 5000 series, the main transformer is going to squeal like a pig. All of the below suggestions DO have DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V (i.e.: They are not group regulated).
CV650 was listed under THAT description.

Now, will I state with certainty, 100%, that the PSU is causing your problems? No. Do I...

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
What's the best way to monitor temps (I assume you mean while gaming)? I don't notice the fans working too hard so it SEEMED to not be too hot... (very scientific)
I had tried using PCPartPicker and that listed the power supply as being sufficient. Also, Guru3D lists a 550 watt PSU as recommended for the setup -- not saying that's not the issue, though.

There is a 3400 profile in Bios and that crashed as well.

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Does you Mainboard support that high clocks?

I thought that it did... the company page says it supports up to ddr4 4066+. After you asked, though, I looked on pangoly.com and couldn't find my RAM listed -- or any other 3400 (although they had 3200 and 3466 listed) -- does that matter? Would that be causing the crashing or does that just mean I'm not fully utilizing the RAM?

Thanks for the link to HWinfo, btw.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Check a temps is good idea cpu and gpu. Would also try to get stable before changing ram speed. It probably not an issue but why complicate things. When I buy a 5700xt I had lots of crashes. Set everything stock and try to figure it out and then change ram speeds or change card settings. Undervolts may help check temps as a baseline and see how hot it is stocks.

This may seem the odd question but do you run any of those games son the steam? Overlays and certain window setting is what the give me a problems. It sounds like you not having bad issues just a little. Thinking I set bsod records when first try out new pc. I going to blame windows :)

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I was reading that you can undervolt a certain amount without losing any/much performance but bringing temp down a significant amount. I was thinking that might help.

I use steam but don't use any overlays. I'll double check when I get home to make sure they're not running in the background. I get GSOD more than blue -- only BSOD with the RAM issue.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Change your power supply.

The first link offers a guide as to what to get and what to avoid. It is a must-read.

The second link, well, it DOES show the CV650 and ONLY the 650 from the CV series, as being "it will do" with the caveat of:
I wouldn't use any of the below, but if you're on a really tight budget, they are options. Keep in mind, if you use a high end graphics card like an Nvidia 20 series (Turing) or AMD Vega or 5000 series, the main transformer is going to squeal like a pig. All of the below suggestions DO have DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V (i.e.: They are not group regulated).
CV650 was listed under THAT description.

Now, will I state with certainty, 100%, that the PSU is causing your problems? No. Do I think it's likely? Yes.

Do not skimp on a high-quality (not to be confused with high efficiency) PSU. At least, not if you value the rest of your components.

Solution

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Got the new/better PSU. Installed, works great, doesn't stop the crashing though...

I can look into the ram but it seems like it that were the issue it would happen more consistently -- not just when running certain demanding games.
I assume next things to look into are GPU drivers (again) and reinstalling windows (again). I'm not feeling really hopeful currently.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It still could be the RAM... if something doesn't demand as much, it may not be using the portion of the RAM that's causing trouble.

You can create a bootable USB for memtest86 - the tests take a long time to run, but it'll let you know if there's a problem.

The 3200 MHz RAM on my son's PC (1600 AF Ryzen) wouldn't run stably, so I had to manually set it in the BIOS to 3066. It's possible something like that is going on with your system, too. Try that before going through the clean-install of Windows.

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I have tried running a memory test (can't remember which at the moment) all day with no problems a couple of months ago -- that was at 2133, though.

Another things I'm curious about is that the NVMe drive is directly under GPU with very little space between (only location for both). Is it possible that the heat from the GPU interferes with the storage?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Definitely try memtest86, just to be on the safe side, and at your currently set RAM speed. At least then we can eliminate that possibility.

I don't think it can interfere. Only maybe if the heatsink were physically touching it, it might cause the SSD to heat up. But I don't think that's happening here.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
So your memory running at 2133 will run just fine under memtest, barring any major manufacturing flaw, but as soon as you turn on the XMP profile and change you clock speed, your memory will throw up all kinds of errors.. This is because Ryzen processors tend to be finicky with regards to RAM timing settings, and even the manufacturer's XMP profiles won't necessarily work. If you want to play with overclocks and timing, Google "Ryzen Memory Calculator" and you will come up with a list of advice on how to use the Ryzen memory calculator software to determine your memory type, rank and give you the best timing settings to give you a shot at making the overclock. READ READ READ everything before you start changing anything. I went through this and was very happy to get all 64 GB up to 3600 with decent timing and stopped there.

Reactions: King_V