[SOLVED] RX 580 bottlenecking i5-3570K ?

POTTU98

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
I have been playing mostly Wreckfest and War Thunder and noticed that my i5-3570k has been running at 60% at most, while the 580 is pegged at 100%'

So RX 580 is loud, uses up an incredible amount of power and now bottlenecks a 4c 4t CPU from 2012?

I5 3570K @4,2 ghz
8gb of DDR3
1Tb HDD (quite fast, boots in 30 secs)
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550
Windows 10 ver. 19042

Last edited:
Solution
The CPU cannot be bottlenecked by the GPU by virtue that the CPU doesn't care if the GPU is at 100%, it just won't send it any more stuff to do. Or it tries but the GPU is all "nope, come back later" The CPU will happily go on running the next cycle of game logic.

For a give quality setting and resolution, the CPU determines the maximum performance while the GPU determines the minimum performance. And there's only a problem when either are not reaching the performance requirements you have.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to state the rest of your specs like so:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
PSU:

If you're on Windows 10, please include the version of the OS. As a side note, you might want to try and tax your platform with other titles and see if your CPU is being under utilized. Often times a corruption in the OS or the drivers or the games can lead to lackluster hardware utilization, not to mention that sometimes games aren't optimized for some hardware.

POTTU98

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
You might want to state the rest of your specs like so:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
PSU:

If you're on Windows 10, please include the version of the OS. As a side note, you might want to try and tax your platform with other titles and see if your CPU is being under utilized. Often times a corruption in the OS or the drivers or the games can lead to lackluster hardware utilization, not to mention that sometimes games aren't optimized for some hardware.
Did it

POTTU98

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
Is that 1x 8GB(single channel), or 2x 4GB(dual channel)?
Just so you know, the former isn't ideal for playing games with...

Also, looking at whole cpu usage can be very misleading.
You have to look at each core, because all it takes is one to hold back performance.
It is dual channel, trust me, i do not want to know whats it like to play with single channel DDR3 in 2021, Also i checked MSI Afterburner and it seems to use all 4 cores

The CPU cannot be bottlenecked by the GPU by virtue that the CPU doesn't care if the GPU is at 100%, it just won't send it any more stuff to do. Or it tries but the GPU is all "nope, come back later" The CPU will happily go on running the next cycle of game logic.

For a give quality setting and resolution, the CPU determines the maximum performance while the GPU determines the minimum performance. And there's only a problem when either are not reaching the performance requirements you have.

Solution

POTTU98

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
'Seems to use all 4 cores'?
-At least 1 core is 90% or higher, thus cpu limitation.
-No cores are running that high, thus issue lies elsewhere.
Display resolution, game graphics settings, etc impact performance as well. The i5 should not be "bottlenecked" by the RX 580, if anything it would be the other way around from a performance potential perspective.
All 4 cores running at 60% max, if you did not realize it after i said "cpu is used 60% most" and "all the cores are used about the same"

Wreckfest at highest settings at 1080p, War Thunder at 1080p high with grass range set to low

I will conduct more in depth testing on the weekend, as then i have 2 pc's on my use so i can run some stress testing software on this thing. I can also more easily test more games, including some older ones like ArmA 2

TRENDING THREADS