[SOLVED] RX 6500 XT Pulse compatible PCIe 2.0?

Feb 3, 2022
Hey !
I've got to choose from a GTX 1650 and a RX 6500 XT gpu but the one thing that i'm concerned is that i have:

an old motherboard with PCIe 2.0 ( MSI H81M-P33 ) and a I7 4790.

But yes, it has a x16 slot 2.0 PCIe.

Will it work on this motherboard having a RX 6500 XT?

I couldn't find any good response about that.

Solution
Will it work? Yes. Would I recommend it? No. This GPU suffers quite heavy loss of FPS even on PCIe 3.0 slots, I can only imagine how bad it can become on 2.0 motherboard.
Feb 3, 2022
Will it work? Yes. Would I recommend it? No. This GPU suffers quite heavy loss of FPS even on PCIe 3.0 slots, I can only imagine how bad it can become on 2.0 motherboard.

I saw now on youtube some comparations and even people laugh that a PCIe 3.0 with RX 6500 XT is like a 1650. So yeah, i don't know, i wished i could get it, i even found it cheaper than the 1650 (300$ for the rx 6500) and 400$ for the 1650.

I saw now on youtube some comparations and even people laugh that a PCIe 3.0 with RX 6500 XT is like a 1650. So yeah, i don't know, i wished i could get it, i even found it cheaper than the 1650 (300$ for the rx 6500) and 400$ for the 1650.
Unless you plan to swap system to one that has PCIe 4 soon I would not touch 6500XT no matter how much it cost. And even then it would have to be dirt cheap. For 300$ - no way.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
If you are ok with buying used, a gtx 960 or 1060 would be a lot cheaper. The Facebook marketplace has a lot of really good deals. Try and get a 1060 6gb

Another option would be to wait: GPU prices are slowly coming down and AMD claims it will have its supply issues sorted around Q3 this year for real this time.
Yeah, if you don't absolutely need an upgrade right away, it might be worth waiting. Graphics card prices appear to be starting to trend downward, but they are still super-high compared to a year ago. Keep in mind, the 1650 originally launched at (US) prices starting as low as $150 two years back. The RTX 3060 Ti was supposed to be priced at $400 (though wasn't really ever available for that due to crypto miners messing up the market), and that's a card that offers roughly 3-4 times the graphics performance of a 1650, plus hardware support for raytracing effects and DLSS upscaling, not found on the 16-series cards.

At the very least, I would aim for something like the newly-launched RTX 3050 at this point, as that card offers around double the performance of a 1650, along with 8GB of VRAM. It also features at least some level of raytracing capability, along with the option for DLSS upscaling. It's supposed to be a $250 card, though you're unlikely to find one for that at the moment. Still, I see at least one model of that card in-stock at Newegg right now for $450 shipped, which would be a far better option than a 1650 for close to that price, assuming you are looking at US prices.

It should be noted that the RTX 3050 does only offer a PCIe x8 interface, which could potentially affect performance in some games over PCIe 2.0, though it shouldn't be affected nearly as bad as the 6500 XT with its x4 interface and half the VRAM. I'm not sure if there could be any potential incompatibilities with that card on your older motherboard though. There is always the option of doing a more thorough system upgrade, of course, as other PC components are priced fairly reasonably right now.

InvalidError

Titan
Yeah, if you don't absolutely need an upgrade right away, it might be worth waiting. Graphics card prices appear to be starting to trend downward, but they are still super-high compared to a year ago.
The return to semi-normal prices is going to take a while at least until ETH goes PoS. What happens after that will depend on how many ETH miners decide to sell off their GPUs and how badly massive increases in alt-coin hash rates from ETH miners moving on to other coins will disrupt those markets, possibly prompting more coin and GPU sell-offs.

Feb 3, 2022
If you want to run the 6500 XT on a 2.0 connection, that's a horrible idea. It'll run like trash. GTX 1650 is the far superior option.
Yeah, if you don't absolutely need an upgrade right away, it might be worth waiting. Graphics card prices appear to be starting to trend downward, but they are still super-high compared to a year ago. Keep in mind, the 1650 originally launched at (US) prices starting as low as $150 two years back. The RTX 3060 Ti was supposed to be priced at $400 (though wasn't really ever available for that due to crypto miners messing up the market), and that's a card that offers roughly 3-4 times the graphics performance of a 1650, plus hardware support for raytracing effects and DLSS upscaling, not found on the 16-series cards.

At the very least, I would aim for something like the newly-launched RTX 3050 at this point, as that card offers around double the performance of a 1650, along with 8GB of VRAM. It also features at least some level of raytracing capability, along with the option for DLSS upscaling. It's supposed to be a $250 card, though you're unlikely to find one for that at the moment. Still, I see at least one model of that card in-stock at Newegg right now for $450 shipped, which would be a far better option than a 1650 for close to that price, assuming you are looking at US prices.

It should be noted that the RTX 3050 does only offer a PCIe x8 interface, which could potentially affect performance in some games over PCIe 2.0, though it shouldn't be affected nearly as bad as the 6500 XT with its x4 interface and half the VRAM. I'm not sure if there could be any potential incompatibilities with that card on your older motherboard though. There is always the option of doing a more thorough system upgrade, of course, as other PC components are priced fairly reasonably right now.

thanks all of you for the tips. But for now, as I don’t have any options (an 3050 in my country is too high, selling for around 650$++, I’ll go with the 1650. Yeah I’m not really happy with the decision but otherwise I wouldn’t have any other option.

Because of my job (Data Scientist) I really need an GPU (I also play some light games sometimes) as I train / evaluate some models that take a lot of time and I really was looking for a GPU.
Tough decision but yeah, hope for the best with the 1650. Tomorrow it will arrive

cheers

Feb 3, 2022
If you are looking for a big-data number-crunching GPU, you may want to hold off a bit for Intel's GPUs then since those appear to come with fully unlocked FP32/64/128 performance based on leaked benchmarks.
Sadly my MacBook M1 isn’t that strong in terms of AI programming so I really needed for my job my PC.

btw, in the future I’ll first upgrade the other parts(CPU, motherboard etc) and I’ll keep the 1650 for a little while.

I was thinking to buy the RX 6500 With an motherboard with PCIe 3.0 but I saw that even the 3.0 is still losing lots of fps in games especially.