Question Ryzen 3400g running HOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanderguy777

Honorable
Apr 1, 2017
I just built a pc and used the 3400g that was on sale at Newegg. I finally got the other problems solved, but now the CPU runs at 54 on idle. I dont know what to do as the stock cooler (who everyone thinks is fine) is at 2500rpm (maxed out)!

Sanderguy777

Honorable
Apr 1, 2017
Do you have your own thermal paste? If so, take the cooler off, clean off the thermal paste with rubbing alcohol on a paper towel, apply new TIM (grain of rice), and reinstall the cooler.
I do have paste. Is that grain of rice in the SHAPE of a grain of rice? Or the mass or what? The pea method I've seen done, but not the grain of rice.
(I know it sounds like a facetious question, but I want to make sure I do it right the second time!)
If it is the size and shape of a grain of rice, is the grain along the length of the CPU, or does it matter? Thanks.

If that doesn't help, should I order a cpu cooler or could it be something else?

Sanderguy777

Honorable
Apr 1, 2017
I gave it a shot. I can't send photos, but it looked too thin and uneven. But this is a noob who has never seen anything....

I reinstalled the wraith spire cooler twice in the hope that I could get it aligned, but both times (also the initial install) I got 3 of the 4 screws to go into the motherboard backer plate thing but the last one wouldn't. Obviously the screws are tweaked or the backer plate is wrong, but I can't get all the screws to go in so I'm done trying. I'll just get an air cooler that is overkill and use it on the next build too.

Any recommendations on a tower air cooler are appreciated. My case can hold 155mm tall tower unit. (that is like max. Only 5 or 6mm clearance to the front panel that is plastic, so shorter is better so I dont melt anything.) I know Noctua is good, but their u15s (the big $90 one) is like 165mm, so too tall. Also, I'd like to get one cheaper that just works. I don't need fancy, but I'm not above rgb either LOL. I DO want quiet and efficiency. No point in buying a unit that can't cool the next build and sounds like a diesel engine dying.

Sanderguy777

Honorable
Apr 1, 2017
Is the Corsair h100i PRO good? The reviews on Best buy and PC part picker say yes, and I have heard good stuff about the original one, but I'm not sure how the PRO model stacks up against the competition or air coolers. I ordered one from best buy since it is the only one they have in store, but there was ONLY ONE in stock, so I snagged it. I can return it if it is bad, but I wanted to get something fast.

I just do t want to have it leak.....

Sanderguy777

Honorable
Apr 1, 2017
I got the Corsair h100i pro installed.
I booted and my temps were only down by 3C according to the bios. I downloaded Link and got the rgb fixed, but couldn't find how to change the fans speeds. There is one setting that went from quiet to performance that brought the temps down to only 39C but then it jumps to 49C and starts dropping to 39C again so I think.something is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.