[SOLVED] Ryzen 3800x vs RTX 2070

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Hello my fellow gurus hope you are all doing well. Ok so a buddy of mine wants to upgrade as he has a old CPU and Video card. He is on Sandy Bridge right now lol. Anyhow I just bought him a brand new 2k 144hz 27" gaming monitor and before this he plays at 1080p, however he now wants to play at 2k resolution with all the eye candy. His demand is 60fps locked. Doesn't dip below 60fps for most AAA titles. I know a thing or two about AMD chips as I have educated myself on all these different models AMD sells. TLDR🙈

I want to ask anyone who has experience or knows a lot about the 3800x and the 2070 performance as I have never used a 2070 myself. Would this combination work out for him and what is the the best tier B PSU for this upgrade he wants to do? I know he will be pleased with the performance as I have used a Sandy Bridge before and its a horrible CPU in every way. Even with SSD and 16GB RAM its slow as heck.

So in closing will a new 3800x along with a 2070 work well with each other or does he need a higher CPU model for the 2070 not to bottleneck and what not. Thanks again guys I wanna make sure of these things before we pull the trigger on it. Thank you much.✌👀💯👽

Solution
The 3800X + RTX2070 class performance would work great for 1440p gaming. I would question the choice of 3800X over the 3700X though.

Nvidia is in the process of launching (though VERY limited supply) their RTX 3000 series GPUs with the RTX3070 next up on October 29th (1 day after AMD Navi 6000 GPU launch)

AMD will "launch" their next-gen Ryzen 4000 (5000?) CPUs tomorrow.

Sounds like you're doing a build (CPU+GPU+PSU and presumable mobo and RAM to finish). Maybe just tell us what country youre shopping in and what the budget is.

Reactions: Turtle Rig

logainofhades

Titan
Reactions: Turtle Rig
Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Thank you so much tennis2 and logaiofhades you guys rock. I will listen to you gurus and get the 3700x chip and you both confirmed to me it will go find and dandy with a 2070 for 2k gaming. Thank you much mod guru and tennis2 my friends. Thank you again I well get him the SeaSonic Focus Gold.💯👍👀