[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 1600 + rx 580 doesn't run like the benchmarks

Apr 21, 2020
Hi, I've recently upgraded to a ryzen 5 1600 and installed a sapphire rx 580 8 gb due to a recommendation from a friend. He showed me some benchmark videos and they looked really good for the budget I had. I tried overwatch and gta V. Gta V ran at on average 30-40 fps on low settings, and overwatch ran at 40-50 on low settings. Benchmarks with similar builds ran these 2 at 1080p above 60fps. I've reinstalled drivers twice, is there any thing I'm doing wrong???

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF
GPU: AMD RX 580
SSD: Adata SU635 240GB
HDD: WD WD5000AVDS-63U7B1 500GB
RAM: Viper 3200 C16 Series 1x8GB
MBD: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H-CF

Solution
Ok. It's just that it's pretty common for RX580s to not hit their advertised frequency because they hit power limits before that. The quick and dirty way to remedy that issue is to increase the "power limit %" slider by 20-25% or so. Then they'll hit their advertised frequency.

If you were taking the frequency from an OSD or a logger, then that's accurate. Simply looking at the "target" frequency Afterburner/WattMan (I'd recommend using WattMan since it's already installed and does more than afterburner) isn't the actual frequency. Get where I'm going with that?
Apr 21, 2020
The rx580 is running at 1350 mhz, but the ram wasn't no where near 3200 mhz and when I deceiced to turn on xmp which changed the memory to 3200 mhz my pc would just turn on for a minute or two and then crash. Idk how to change the memory speed manually. As for benchmarks, the only similar thing with the systems and mine are the cpu, gpu and memory size.

Ok. It's just that it's pretty common for RX580s to not hit their advertised frequency because they hit power limits before that. The quick and dirty way to remedy that issue is to increase the "power limit %" slider by 20-25% or so. Then they'll hit their advertised frequency.

If you were taking the frequency from an OSD or a logger, then that's accurate. Simply looking at the "target" frequency Afterburner/WattMan (I'd recommend using WattMan since it's already installed and does more than afterburner) isn't the actual frequency. Get where I'm going with that?

Solution
Apr 21, 2020

Aw man thanks, my buddy walked me through to update the bios and I guess that was the main problem. Everything is running a <Mod Edit> charm, thank you soooooo much

Last edited by a moderator:
If your BIOS update allowed the CPU to run the RAM at 3200MHz successfully you can disregard my statement on that. If you still cannot stably run the RAM at 3200MHz, it's likely the fault of Ryzen's memory controller and you may have to run the RAM slightly slower to achieve stability.

The hiccups you're seeing are probably because you only have a single stick of RAM and not 2 sticks for "dual channel" operation.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Apr 21, 2020
If your BIOS update allowed the CPU to run the RAM at 3200MHz successfully you can disregard my statement on that. If you still cannot stably run the RAM at 3200MHz, it's likely the fault of Ryzen's memory controller and you may have to run the RAM slightly slower to achieve stability.

The hiccups you're seeing are probably because you only have a single stick of RAM and not 2 sticks for "dual channel" operation.

The Bios update for sure changed a lot but the ram is only thing that won't really work. Everytime I turn on the xmp profile, my pc doesn't even stay on for 5 mins. I was looking around and I've seen things like ram timings and manually setting the memory clock speed but I quite don't understand.

download CPUz, go to the SPD tab and it will show you what each of the JDEC and XMP timings actually are.

Most likely you're not going to get 3200MHz RAM on your chip. So 3000MHz would be the next step down. If there's no XMP profiles for that, you'll have to manually set frequency/timings in the BIOS.

Apr 21, 2020
download CPUz, go to the SPD tab and it will show you what each of the JDEC and XMP timings actually are.

Most likely you're not going to get 3200MHz RAM on your chip. So 3000MHz would be the next step down. If there's no XMP profiles for that, you'll have to manually set frequency/timings in the BIOS.

Should I change the dram voltage along with the memory multiplier and timing mode?

Apr 21, 2020
Are you changing the RAM frequency or the CPU frequency?

RAM speed shouldn't affect the CPU temp.
DDR4-2666 is the "standard" spec for a Ryzen 1600. So if you're all the way back to that, just return everything to "auto"

Are you changing the RAM frequency or the CPU frequency?

RAM speed shouldn't affect the CPU temp.
DDR4-2666 is the "standard" spec for a Ryzen 1600. So if you're all the way back to that, just return everything to "auto"

I was changing the ram, but yea I'm gonna probably have to turn it to auto cause even a little under 2600 its still heating up.

Again, RAM speed doesn't affect the CPU temp.

What are the XMP profiles shown in CPUz? There should be at least two of them.

I'm beginning to think I pushed you beyond your level of understanding (no offense) and we should have to reset your CMOS to get back to when everything was "working like a $!^& charm". Your remaining hickups are probably due to only having a single stick of RAM and not dual channel. "Overclocking" your RAM 12% above stock probably won't make the hickups go away.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020
Again, RAM speed doesn't affect the CPU temp.

What are the XMP profiles shown in CPUz? There should be at least two of them.

I'm beginning to think I pushed you beyond your level of understanding (no offense) and we should have to reset your CMOS to get back to when everything was "working like a $!^& charm". Your remaining hickups are probably due to only having a single stick of RAM and not dual channel. "Overclocking" your RAM 12% above stock probably won't make the hickups go away.

Yea, no problem. This is just really confusing to me and I really over-complicate things. I saw Xmp-3200 (Idk if you mean that) it read 1600 mhz. I have screenshots of the spd and memory, I just don't know how to post them.