Question Ryzen 5 2600x stuck at 3.2Ghz

Aug 16, 2019
Hello, a few days ago I was messing around in the bios when I saw Game Boost. I looked at it and it said that it boosts the CPU with 405mhz. I was thinking: "This is great! It will pump up my fps.." When I launched Fortnite, my fps counter said 40. Weird? I asked my friends for help and they said I might have damaged my CPU?? Why would MSI then put Game Boost in the bios?? When I set CPU ratio to 'auto' it barely reaches 3200mhz, [even when running games] But when I put it to eg. 3.7Ghz. It does what I ask. Can someone please tell me what I did wrong?

My specs are:
Ryzen 5 2600x (stock cooler)
8GB ddr4 3000mhz
Msi b450 gaming plus
2x 500gb SSD
Corsair rm550x
gigabyte gtx 1650 oc 4gb

Reset the BIOS and restore the system to the defaults...then go into the BIOS and set your memory XMP profile, select your boot drive option, and enable PBO for the CPU. These features should be covered by the motherboard owners manual.

There's really no need to mess around with overclocking either using the BIOS Game Boost feature or even manually since the 2600x will handle overclocking for you through PBO.

Reactions: DUAL33s

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I had a simial probelm with my system...it turned out the probelm was that I was using the bios AND Ryzen Master app to tweak my system...apparently, you are not supposed to do this. So I uninstalled Ryzen Master and reset my bios to default and I was good to go. So if you have Ryzen Master installed, I would just get rid of it. Also, if that doesn't work, it could be Windows High Precision Event Timer messing your system up. I had this problem as well with my 2600x...so I diabled HPET in Windows and in the Command Prompt and it basically tripled my gaming performance. Also got rid of lag, stuttering, frame drops etc. So you can give this a try as well, once you figure out the Game Boost issue. If you have any more questions feel free to hmu...Good luck! Oh and also, I would HIGHLY recommend NOT using 'Game Boost'...in my experience it is trash for 90% of the games out there atm It may be usefull for games that can utitlize 12 - 16 threads. But most games will not benefit from this setting at all. I would instead enable Precision Boost Overdrive and tune your DRAM timings using Ryzen DRAM Calculator.. in my experience, those are the 2 settings that will really boost your performance..

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Reset the BIOS and restore the system to the defaults...then go into the BIOS and set your memory XMP profile, select your boot drive option, and enable PBO for the CPU. These features should be covered by the motherboard owners manual.

There's really no need to mess around with overclocking either using the BIOS Game Boost feature or even manually since the 2600x will handle overclocking for you through PBO.
exactly. In my experience, PBO and fine tuning your DRAM frequency/timings is where you will benefit the most with the 2600x. Even a manual overclock barely increases performance over using PBO and in some cases it will actually hurt performance.

Aug 16, 2019
I had a simial probelm with my system...it turned out the probelm was that I was using the bios AND Ryzen Master app to tweak my system...apparently, you are not supposed to do this. So I uninstalled Ryzen Master and reset my bios to default and I was good to go. So if you have Ryzen Master installed, I would just get rid of it. Also, if that doesn't work, it could be Windows High Precision Event Timer messing your system up. I had this problem as well with my 2600x...so I diabled HPET in Windows and in the Command Prompt and it basically tripled my gaming performance. Also got rid of lag, stuttering, frame drops etc. So you can give this a try as well, once you figure out the Game Boost issue. If you have any more questions feel free to hmu...Good luck! Oh and also, I would HIGHLY recommend NOT using 'Game Boost'...in my experience it is trash for 90% of the games out there atm It may be usefull for games that can utitlize 12 - 16 threads. But most games will not benefit from this setting at all. I would instead enable Precision Boost Overdrive and tune your DRAM timings using Ryzen DRAM Calculator.. in my experience, those are the 2 settings that will really boost your performance..
Also the thing that scares me the most, is before I enabled Game Boost I scored 2833 points on Cinebench. After enabling en disabling game boost my score was around 2300..

Aug 16, 2019
And when I was building my pc, while installing the CPU cooler the CPU got ripped out of my motherboard and it was stuck on the cooler. The lever on the socket had much less tension then before but the CPU looked fine. I just put it back in the socket, lever broke or not just pushed it down. Janked the cooler on it and continued building. It works but I don't know if that made it perform worse.

Aug 16, 2019
I SOLVED IT! While disabling HPET, I didn't see my cpu speed going higher then 3.2Ghz. Then I was deleting some programs until I deleted Amd Product Verification Tool. MY CPU FINALLY REACHES 4GHZ IDLE!

EDIT: nevermind. I rebooted windows and still 3.17 ghz. BUT when I open up MSI Command Center, suddenly it runs at 4Ghz. Someone please help! I'm really confused.

Last edited:
Reactions: DUAL33s

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I SOLVED IT! While disabling HPET, I didn't see my cpu speed going higher then 3.2Ghz. Then I was deleting some programs until I deleted Amd Product Verification Tool. MY CPU FINALLY REACHES 4GHZ IDLE!

EDIT: nevermind. I rebooted windows and still 3.17 ghz. BUT when I open up MSI Command Center, suddenly it runs at 4Ghz. Someone please help! I'm really confused.
good stuff man! congrats! :D

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
40 FPS in fortnight doesn't sound right with that hardware you should be able to hit above 60-75 with medium to high settings at the very least. The CPU prolly isint the issue performance wise bone stock it should play fortnite fine, maybe check your gpu drivers ? whens the last time you updated those ? as far as the overclocking goes i would manually overclock with everything else set to AUTO i would say maybe go for 3.6 ghz and go up from there if things seem stable.

Sep 25, 2019
My ryzen 2600x stuck at 3.2 ghz all the time on aida64 stress test when i am using Ryzen Balanced Plan. I think %99 maximum processor state couse this. It goes up to 4.1 ghz with %100 max processor state.