Question Ryzen 5 3600 heating up while playing World of Tanks in minimum setting! What should I do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Also, previously I took some more screenshots running Hitman 2, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Fifa 19. They were taken using the MSI Afterburner tool. Sadly, I didn't play any of those games for more than 10 mins as I am in quite a bad mood today.......Just can't concentrate on anything today with the Covid news coming from all around.
View: https://imgur.com/a/vFUkPNH

Thank you for taking the time and all the pictures you posted, they are great!

And yeah I can understand how you feel about the global pandemic.

Well inow we can really see that yeah the CPU needs a better cooler, 85.5°C is not a good temp to keep it for a long time.

In fact according to the pics, after 7 mins of playing the CPU was already at 80°C.

In short you could use a better cooler, there are many budget solutions like Deep Cool Gammaxx 400 or Gammaxx GTE (that will be around 10ish°C better than the stock one), theres better ones like Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition or Arctic Freezer 34 esport DUO (one of the best if you ask me for Ryzen 5 and 7), then you have the expensive and big bulky ones like Notcua NH-D15S or beQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4. Other than that any good 240mm or 280mm AIO liquid cooler will also do the job.

Now I have one last question, during your more or less 20 mins of WoT did you have any connection/ping issues?

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Thank you for taking the time and all the pictures you posted, they are great!

And yeah I can understand how you feel about the global pandemic.

Well inow we can really see that yeah the CPU needs a better cooler, 85.5°C is not a good temp to keep it for a long time.

In fact according to the pics, after 7 mins of playing the CPU was already at 80°C.

In short you could use a better cooler, there are many budget solutions like Deep Cool Gammaxx 400 or Gammaxx GTE (that will be around 10ish°C better than the stock one), theres better ones like Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition or Arctic Freezer 34 esport DUO (one of the best if you ask me for Ryzen 5 and 7), then you have the expensive and big bulky ones like Notcua NH-D15S or beQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4. Other than that any good 240mm or 280mm AIO liquid cooler will also do the job.

Now I have one last question, during your more or less 20 mins of WoT did you have any connection/ping issues?

During those minutes, I had just one Ping jump when it went to 110ms from 90/92ms. It was just a fraction of seconds. I think other than that it was a stable 90-92ms all the way.
About the cooler situation, the Arctic Freezer 34 is showing an atrocious price in Amazon here, it's more than the price of my Motherboard! I don't know if it is normal or the Seller is hiking the price during this trying times as I haven't known of this cooler previously. Also, it's showing a delivery date of September 1-15 (!!!).
I am getting two options which best suits my budget at the moment, the Cooler Master Hyper 212, as you suggested and Corsair Hydro H60 Liquid Cooler. The Cooler Master one is cheaper between the two. I will post the links for them. What would you suggest me to go for between them?

https://www.amazon.in/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-CPU/dp/B01KBXKP8W/ref=sr_1_1?crid=ZRXJROU8UZ3H&dchild=1&keywords=cooler+master+hyper+212&qid=1596131236&sprefix=cooler+master+hyper,aps,277&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.in/CORSAIR-Hydro-Liquid-Cooler-Radiator/dp/B079NXZQBC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2EDRUMFLYCBTQ&dchild=1&keywords=corsair+liquid+cooler&qid=1596131448&s=industrial&sprefix=corsair+l,industrial,275&sr=1-1

According to Cooler Master website the Hyper 212 LED not all Hyper 212 LED are compatible with AM4 ("*Due to mechanical limitations, AM4 upgrade kit is only supported by the Hyper 212 LED AM4 compatible version."), and even if they are they may not come with the right bracket: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-212-led/#Specifications.

Thats why I said Hyper 212 Black Edition, which is this one: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-212-black-edition/#Specifications (theres a version that comes with an RGB fan).

The Corsair Hydro H60, seems to be the 2018 version: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Single-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series™-H60-(2018)-120mm-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060036-WW#tab-tech-specs. It seems to be compatible with AM4 socket, just as GarrettL mention don't hope for a much better cooling than any decent 120mm tower cooler.

There are also this two:

https://www.amazon.in/DEEPCOOL-GAMMAXX-GTE-V2-LGA1151/dp/B082CZW3RK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=38HHGOAEVISPE&dchild=1&keywords=gammaxx+gte&qid=1596139712&sprefix=gammaxx+gte,aps,395&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.in/Deepcool-GAMMAXX-GTE-Cooler-Pipes/dp/B07DDBCNYX/ref=sr_1_2?crid=38HHGOAEVISPE&dchild=1&keywords=gammaxx+gte&qid=1596139712&sprefix=gammaxx+gte,aps,395&sr=8-2

But just to be sure I'll say it again, if you go with an air tower cooler you need to make sure it will fit inside your case!!!!!!

Good luck buying!

Reactions: JitD

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Update:
I got the Gammaxx 120 Water Cooler, was affordable and reviews were ok too.... I installed it ( took me a long time to install....!!!). The Cooler Fan is working good with the RGB lights synchronized with my Motherboard). @RodroX , could you please take a look at these pictures and see if I installed the Cooler Fan right? I hope the pictures will be sufficient. Please do excuse the cable management inside!
View: https://imgur.com/a/poC7PQj

I watched the temperatures also with HwInfo and Ryzen Master, the idle seems around 40 C which seems an improvement, if not much.
View: https://imgur.com/a/HZ0vjju

Please do give a look whenever it's convenient for you!

The fan installation seeems ok, Im not sure those 75° C while browsing and youtube are right ?

Also isnt the GPU installed on the wrong slot? Shouldn't be on the first PCIe 16X one?

Are all the cables on the cooler plugged correctly, pump, fan, etc?

What is the temp while playing games?

Last edited:

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
75° C was before I installed this Cooler. It was while I was with the default AMD Cooler. Gave that as a comparison, sort of...
I also had this question on my mind, about the GPU slot! My old Motherboard was a low graded Intel one, with only one GPU slot as far as I remember. Should I change the GPU slot? Let me know...
The World of Tanks Server is down atm, and as I play that game mostly now a days, I will post the results when their Server goes up.

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
I've been having a similar problem (2-3 seconds of stutter in FFXV) and also in ps2 emulation, GTA V too, I have a ryzen 3600 and a GTX 1650super, my PC is brand new, except for my PSU, I've been searching and in some Nvidia forums they claim that the new turing architecture and also AMD RX5000 graphics cards are extremely sensitive to a bad power delivery.

I'm still not 100% sure because at the moment I don't have the money for a good PSU, but we have in common the ryzen platform and the Turing architecture, I have 3200mhz ram with optimized timings and the problem is still there so I don't believe your problem is the RAM.

My specs are:
Asrock B450 HDV r4.0
Ryzen 3600 @4.2ghz 1.2v + arctic freezer 33 (works around 55-60°C while playing)
16gb DDR4 3200 corsair vengence kit
MSI GTX 1650 super ventus XS OC
Cooler master rs-550-pcar-e3 (550w non certified PSU)

So I join to this thread, if the problem persist and you have a friend with a GTX10 series or an AMD RX400-500, you could ask him to lend it to you so you can discard the GPU architecture problems and bad PSU.

Last edited:
75° C was before I installed this Cooler. It was while I was with the default AMD Cooler. Gave that as a comparison, sort of...
I also had this question on my mind, about the GPU slot! My old Motherboard was a low graded Intel one, with only one GPU slot as far as I remember. Should I change the GPU slot? Let me know...
The World of Tanks Server is down atm, and as I play that game mostly now a days, I will post the results when their Server goes up.

You should really try the GPU on the first slot, Im guessing it would not be a bad idea to unistall the driver from Windows first, shut down the PC, change the GPU from the bottom slot to the upper one, and then turn ON the PC and install the newest drivers from nvidia webpage

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
I changed it....and then reinstalled the drivers, and seems it's running ok! Thanks! Unfortunately, the WoT Server is still down. So, I'll have to wait for some more hours to get a result in game.

Reactions: RodroX
I've been having a similar problem (2-3 seconds of stutter in FFXV) and also in ps2 emulation, GTA V too, I have a ryzen 3600 and a GTX 1650super, my PC is brand new, except for my PSU, I've been searching and in some Nvidia forums they claim that the new turing architecture and also AMD RX5000 graphics cards are extremely sensitive to a bad power delivery.

I'm still not 100% sure because at the moment I don't have the money for a good PSU, but we have in common the ryzen platform and the Turing architecture, I have 3200mhz ram with optimized timings and the problem is still there so I don't believe your problem is the RAM.

My specs are:
Asrock B450 HDV r4.0
Ryzen 3600 @4.2ghz 1.2v + arctic freezer 33 (works around 55-60°C while playing)
16gb DDR4 3200 corsair vengence kit
MSI GTX 1650 super ventus XS OC
Cooler master rs-550-pcar-e3 (550w non certified PSU)

So I join to this thread, if the problem persist and you have a friend with a GTX10 series or an AMD RX400-500, you could ask him to lend it to you so you can discard the GPU architecture problems and bad PSU.

Usually the new UEFI BIOS have an option to save all the changes you made iniside a profile. So if you wana try , just save your whole BIOs settings on a BIOS profile. and then go back to normal and see if the issue still there or not.

I changed it....and then reinstalled the drivers, and seems it's running ok! Thanks! Unfortunately, the WoT Server is still down. So, I'll have to wait for some more hours to get a result in game.

OP it seems the new AIO is well mounted and working propely, only the WoT test remains.

And yeah the GPU should be in the first slot since 99.99% of the times it will be the newest and fastest slot (In your case PCIe 3.0 x16 vs PCIe 2.0 x16).

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Ok, so I took a bunch of screenshots while playing World of Tanks ( I had the Afterburner running, not the HWInfo)..... But now as I was uploading them on Imgur I saw that they didn't have the Temp mark on them! I think there is an option in Afterburner to enable the Temp Marks on screenshots and somehow it is tuned off! The temp was hovering between 50-65°C which I should say is bit of an improvement as earlier it was going upto 75°C easily and sometime even around 80.... I think, for the time being, I will not do anymore experiment with the PC as I'm not playing as much games also (got the game fatigue at last it seems). Just one more thing, can I somehow check if the Cooler is working properly? The RGB is working good, but is there any way to check the Cooler performance?

Ok, so I took a bunch of screenshots while playing World of Tanks ( I had the Afterburner running, not the HWInfo)..... But now as I was uploading them on Imgur I saw that they didn't have the Temp mark on them! I think there is an option in Afterburner to enable the Temp Marks on screenshots and somehow it is tuned off! The temp was hovering between 50-65°C which I should say is bit of an improvement as earlier it was going upto 75°C easily and sometime even around 80.... I think, for the time being, I will not do anymore experiment with the PC as I'm not playing as much games also (got the game fatigue at last it seems). Just one more thing, can I somehow check if the Cooler is working properly? The RGB is working good, but is there any way to check the Cooler performance?

You need the latest version of MSI afterburner to show you the temps on the 3rd gen Ryzen. And yes you need to enable the OSD for the CPU temp so it shows on the screen while playing.

As for your question, if 65°C was the highest then I believe the cooler is working propely. Between 10~15° C less is a very nice improvement.

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
I hope it's working and is an "improvement"..... The last couple of days have been too hectic, with our country situation worsening by and by.....My mental and physical state is such now that if anyhow the installation process didn't wok yesterday, I would have just left all the components as it is. I was lucky that it was ok on a single go.......

Thank you again for all the inputs, alone I couldn't have done this so far!

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
There is another thing I did today, and after that the temperature while playing WoT came down to around 45-55 ° C ( touch wood....). Last year, when I had my old intel processor, the Window was becoming slow. Then, I found a suggestion on Internet to Adjust the Performance Option in Win 10. I checked it today also, and reverted it back to "Adjust for Best Performance" and then I noticed the temperature drop as stated in the beginning. Don't know if it was a direct result, but still thought about mentioning it here....
View: https://imgur.com/a/g0rmLUG

There is another thing I did today, and after that the temperature while playing WoT came down to around 45-55 ° C ( touch wood....). Last year, when I had my old intel processor, the Window was becoming slow. Then, I found a suggestion on Internet to Adjust the Performance Option in Win 10. I checked it today also, and reverted it back to "Adjust for Best Performance" and then I noticed the temperature drop as stated in the beginning. Don't know if it was a direct result, but still thought about mentioning it here....
View: https://imgur.com/a/g0rmLUG

Thats strange, usually those Windows visual performance settings should not tax or impact a newer CPU like yours that much, but who knows?. Im guessing the new cpu cooler is the one that helped you the most.

Glad to see everything is working great!

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Another and probably, hopefully the last update: Played World of Tanks for a longer period today, about an hour and also changed the graphics from Minimum to High. The temperature, while loading a battle was going up to 60° C but once inside a battle it hovered between 45-55 ° C . So, with my past experience with the stock cooler, I would say this is a definite improvement.
Thanks everyone who helped me here, specially @RodroX ,you all have been a lifesaver!!!
P.S. - I have the Horizon Zero Dawn pre-purchased on Steam ( It was relatively cheaper in our Country). Hopefully my PC can run it, if not I will be back again with a new thread :)

Glad you got t working.

Remember when you put more load on the GPU (like going from low details to high) the game will go easy on the CPU. But still I bet if you put Min settings back again, CPU temp wont go much higher than 63~65°C. Which is also an improvement.

Have fun!

Hello, I never played the game, but looking at how awesome the game looks even today, and the higher detail preset you used for the benchmark, I see nothing wrong there.

Hope that helps

PD (already added the game to my wish list in steam :) )

Cheers

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
If you haven't bought the game as yet, you can buy it from Epic Game Store. They are giving a $10 Discount, so essentially it will be only around 4.99/4 $ to buy. Really good deal if you have no sentimentality about Steam/Epic....