[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 5600H not reaching max boost ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2022
I need help with my Ryzen 5 5600H
Here's the spec (HP Victus 16-e0093ax)
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600H
Ram:2*8GB DDR4
GPU:RTX 3060 6GB 95w
My problem is with my cpu, on AMD website it says that it can boost to 4.2GHz and yes it can when i first bought it but the temp is a little too high for my comfort(hitting 90°c) so i looked up how to reduce the boost clock and i came across this yt guide by legos45 which worked but the thing is it can't go 4.2GHz anymore, the "max" is now around 3.9GHz

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4Fs-ZjlkA&t

My question is how to make it go 4.2GHz again (because sometime i like to benchmark my laptop and i need that 4.2GHz)

I have tried:
  • reverting the setting,
  • update bios,
  • reinstall chipset driver,
  • AATU,
  • booting with linux.

PS. Pls do ask if you need more info and i will try to reply if i can

Colif

Win 11 Master
Same advice in written form - https://www.techradar.com/au/how-to/how-to-reduce-amd-ryzen-mobile-processor-temperature

Shame its after fact but I would have shown you how to back up registry before making changes.

you can reset power plans via - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...ns-default-settings-windows-10-a.html#option2

booting with linux.
That should have worked, all he did was edit the registry and change settings in windows.
Linux doesn't use the registry so any changes made there should have no effect in Linux

You could run system restore and see if there is a restore date prior to you making changes in registry as it will reset the registry back to how it was before the changes
  1. type "restore" then open "create a restore point"
  2. create a new Restore Point now for C-drive (just in case there isn't one now)
  3. then open the newest restore point that is prior to the problem happening (if you have one)

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022
Same advice in written form - https://www.techradar.com/au/how-to/how-to-reduce-amd-ryzen-mobile-processor-temperature

Shame its after fact but I would have shown you how to back up registry before making changes.

you can reset power plans via - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...ns-default-settings-windows-10-a.html#option2

That should have worked, all he did was edit the registry and change settings in windows.
Linux doesn't use the registry so any changes made there should have no effect in Linux

I thought the same that it should be normal in linux but it’s not and i will try to reset power plans

Colif

Win 11 Master
Who do you blame? The hardware makers who put CPU into tiny thin cases and don't give them enough ways to breath, or the people who want a ultra thin laptop with a 5ghz CPU in it? reality meets expectations I guess.

It doesn't feel like a fix to reduce speed of CPU to keep its temps down. Better to get a slower CPU that doesn't need nerfing to use at full speed. But thats just me I guess.

I blame Apple. they made laptops with no heatsinks. Ultra thin but only last a year before CPU kills itself.

I don't know why linux runs slow. Its got nothing to do with windows, and I don't think windows can directly change bios settings... I know applications can while they run.

Reactions: KyaraM

Colif

Win 11 Master
is it the same in safe mode?

1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

Jun 25, 2022
I can’t login to my windows right now Microsoft locked me out for a month because i change my phone number so I can’t really give you an update until 10th of next month i have this problem for a long time now but just happens to post it here for the first time

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a laptop. Laptops have a definitive amount of cooling capacity that cannot be changed or improved upon. The only way to drop temps is to lower cpu output wattage. That means undervolting, taking the cpu to as low a voltage as possible while still maintaining stability. Take the voltages too low and 1 of 2 things happens. Either loss of stability or loss of boost performance. Sometimes both happen.

Unlike a desktop pc which is put together by acme users and experimental wannabes, and have unlimited headroom for power dissipation capacity, laptops are designed, implemented and built by engineers and already tweaked within a hairs breadth of performance loss.

So regardless of your personal views on temps, laptops are designed to be run at such temps and attempts to make them lesser often means performance suffers as a result.

Colif

Win 11 Master
guess that makes sense, its not exactly a strenuous area for most PC. Unless you run a benchmark or something. I don't know of any that work in safe mode.

booting with linux.
that sort of makes sense.

Not because you changed registry settings as linux doesn't know about those settings, more than linux like safe mode also isn't much of a strain on a PC

But, did you run any benchmarks in linux as it should be able to reach higher speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.