[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700 x 'Performing way below expectations'

Oct 4, 2019
Hi all,
Apologies if I have posted in the wrong section, but I really need advice as I am a complete noob
I built my first gaming PC and I ran a benchmark but my CPU comes back with 'performing way below expectations.. Previously it was 'Performance below expectations' but last few times I have ran it its gotten worse. Is there anything I can do to improve my score:

Heres a link to the benchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/userrun/20663140

I have tried the following:
  1. Set Ram to DOCP
  2. Change the EZ system setting in BIOS to 'Optimal' from 'Normal' - This made no difference so changed setting back to 'Normal'
  3. Changed powerplan to 'AMD Ryzen High Performance - Then back to AMD Ryzen Balanced
  4. All drivers are up to date.
Any ideas?

Computer Type: Desktop - Custom Build
GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 Super 8gb Ram
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700 x stock
Motherboard: Asus x570 TUF Gaming Plus WIFI
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750w PSU
Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro
GPU Drivers: NVidia 26.21.14.3648
Chipset Drivers: AMD Chipset driver 19.10.22
Background Applications: n/a

Thanks in advance everyone

Solution
As DMAN has stated, don't worry about benchmarks.
But personally I wouldn't even run ANY benchmarks, otherwise frankly you'll end up getting yourself wound up into a rabbit hole when there won't be anything wrong.

Userbenchmark also pits your against people who OC their systems to oblivion, so it doesn't really compare apples to apples.

IMO - if you're not having a problem, don't worry, and enjoy your games :)
I see far too many people get worked up around benchmarks and stop enjoying themselves over them when there was never a problem in the first place! Every system is different.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Userbenchmark is just a comparison with others users PC's and doesn't reflect your actual performance.
Run Cinebench R20 (with No other apps running in the background) and see if it performs like it should.
Compare it to the scores here:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-ryzen-9-3900x-review,10.html
At stock settings my 3700x scores slightly above the scores in that article.

You could Enable PBO and set your Performance Enhancer Setting to Level 2 (f your BIOS has this setting) to improve CPU performance.
My 3700x with those options enabled scores even better on Cinebench R20.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
As DMAN has stated, don't worry about benchmarks.
But personally I wouldn't even run ANY benchmarks, otherwise frankly you'll end up getting yourself wound up into a rabbit hole when there won't be anything wrong.

Userbenchmark also pits your against people who OC their systems to oblivion, so it doesn't really compare apples to apples.

I see far too many people get worked up around benchmarks and stop enjoying themselves over them when there was never a problem in the first place! Every system is different.

Last edited:
Solution
I have tried userbenchmark in the past, and honestly, as any benchmark tool as soon as our lovely Windows launch a proccess in the background the results of the benchmark gets to the ground and are basically a piece of thrash.

I will be worry if your experience in game or while working is bad, otherwise just forget it and enjoy your PC.

Note: You could also try to run benchmarks with a brand new and clean Windows install. If you wana do a real test avoid using RGB programs and all that stuff that add a lot of noise to the background.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loftybread

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador

i see far too many people get worked up around benchmarks and stop enjoying themselves over them when there was never a problem in the first place! Every system is different.
Exactly.
If it performs well for the applications/games you actually use then leave it alone and Be Happy!
I enabled PBO because it actually does make a difference when I encode videos, But has no noticeable effect on my fps when gaming.

InvalidError

Titan
Overclocks don't really matter that much.

I think OP is mostly just getting carried away by how userbench over-dramatizes results with rankings: the tighter rankings are on performance, the more dramatic every little loss becomes. When all of the results are at 80-98% of the highest benchmark on record, you get ranked "13th percentile, far below average" for only being 2-3% behind average on actual performance.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Absolutely agreed, not stipulating that overclocks are the reason for the "drastic performance loss" but as you say, with such fine margins, it's not comparing apples to apples comparing your system to Steve's on the other side of the world who has dangerously over clocked his system just to get a high benchmark!

But yes, absolutely agreed :)

Reactions: Loftybread
Oct 4, 2019
Thank you all for you help! Answers have definitely helped! I guess I will test out a few games and see how it goes. PC was only built this week lol. My first ever gaming PC.

TRENDING THREADS