Dylan202

Reputable
May 9, 2019
IDLE: ~60C
GAMING: 80C - 100C

added 2 extra fans bringing cool air in.
Replaced thermal paste (stock thermal paste) with a new one (Arctic MX-2).

Changed power plan to Balanced, minimum process power - 5 percent, max to 99 percent

Turned PBO off (was the same if not worse temps with it on)

tried undervolting; from 1.43v to 1.35v

Only thing i have yet to do is clean the thing from dust but havent got an air canister yet to do so, i highly doubt just from looking that its causing such crazy high temps though ...

Any advice appreciated ty :)

Dylan202

Reputable
May 9, 2019
System spec in general may be helpful to troubleshoot, but I am interested in what case you are using.

Try to drop the side panel to see if there is improvement.

What is ambient where you are?

Yeah sorry, not sure why I didn't include specs lol

Case: CiT Dark Star Midi Case
MBoard: MSI B550 Unify
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
Cooler: Wraith Prism
RAM: Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz RAM

taking the side panel improves a slight bit maybe ~5C
in regards to your last question, i assume you mean my room temp, its 27.8C

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Hmm, even idle temps around 47 would be considered on the high side of normal. Generally you can tell if there is poor case airflow by this test and in this case the drop certainly isn't enough to consider that as suspect.

Is this a recent development, or been ongoing?
Can you check Task Manager to see if there are any ongoing processes when the system is supposed to be at idle?

Have you done any adjustments to fan profiles or anything within BIOS?

Dylan202

Reputable
May 9, 2019
Hmm, even idle temps around 47 would be considered on the high side of normal. Generally you can tell if there is poor case airflow by this test and in this case the drop certainly isn't enough to consider that as suspect.

Is this a recent development, or been ongoing?
Can you check Task Manager to see if there are any ongoing processes when the system is supposed to be at idle?

Have you done any adjustments to fan profiles or anything within BIOS?

I've only just been recently checking my temps and now worried its been a thing for a long time but just hadn't checked.

ive reset all things in the bios, just changed the pbo to disabled

ill have a look at the ongoing processes again when i restart my pc, but from what I can remember I don't think so. most startups are disabled and cpu usage was pretty low

It is important to regularly blow out dust and filth from fans, coolers and heat sinks; for most people I suggest 4 times a year on a regular schedule, heat kills.

Make sure the CPU fan is connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard then enter BIOS and manually max out the fan speed of the CPU cooler fan and check to see if that lowers temperatures. If that works then enter BIOS and make a manual fan curve to keep temperatures down.

If temps are still too high and they drop after removing the case cover or door then you have a case cooling problem. If removing the case door lowers temps and you have a floor fan or table fan at home, remove the side cover on the computer case and place the fan at about a 45 degree angle next to and close to the case, if temperatures drop by 10 degrees C or more you definitely have a case cooling problem.

I just looked at your case and I would not suggest it to anyone running more than a 2 core CPU and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050. This is not a put-down, most people don' t understand things like the importance of case cooling.

Let us know what you find out.

Dylan202

Reputable
May 9, 2019
Hey, this comment did it for me I think, i get 70C~ in load and barely goes higher with the game + microsoft edge browser in the background. idle temps are still kinda high though; at 48-55C average,

"

S K

2 years ago (edited)
Dude , you just brought your R3700x to the performance levels of the first gen. Let me tell you , about the Idles... . Reseat your cooler and make sure you have a good application of the thermal paste , if you miss a corner you going to get a hotspot. Make sure your cooler is tightened well. Set NZXT pump to 80% on liquid temps and your Fans to whatever suits you also on liquid temps (this will lower the fan and pump noise coming when a peak temp is registered any now and then). Do a clear CMOS , update to the latest bios, and do a clean install of the windows. Before you have any drivers installed , go to bios again and disable the PBO , put your XMP profile and adjust the infinity fabric clock to match the single rated speed of your ram (2666 = 1333). After this enable the CPPT and disable the CPPT prefered cores (the second one does nothing) ..Ignore the SOC and CPU LLC's (these are responsible to lower the treshold between the lowest and highest peak voltages..it might idle on a bit more voltage) . When this is done go to AMD site and find the latest chipset drivers there (dont install these from your board manufacturer). When you are asked to awcknoledge which components to install from the chipset driver , make sure you UNCHECK the mark for "Ryzen Balanced" power plan . This plan is totaly broken and it will ruin your win scheduler.. dont install it. When the rest of the chipset driver is instaled, restart your PC. After this go to Power Options select the normal Blanced power plan open it and set Minimum CPU state 5% max CPU state 100% (I think by default there is Min=99%, Max=100% which is terrible). Once this is done restart and Idle should go down to 30's .Cheers .. if you wish to experiment with your cooling mounting check this out: https://www.reddit.com/user/AAAARGH...er_your_ryzen_3000_temps_by_grinding_the_aio/ Or you can purchase OC brackets.. ta-taa..

"