Question Ryzen 7800X3D + Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB - Issues

Di0g0

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
Hello,

First of all, thank you to everyone who tries to help.

Here's the thing, I've decided to upgrade my old Ryzen 1600 to a 7800X3D:

CPU: 7800X3D
Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING B650M-PLUS WIFI
RAMs: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB - CMT32GX5M2D6000Z36

The issues is that, from the very first time I tried to use the EXPO profiles, the computer took ages to boot up (MOBO DRAM LED on), approximately >1 minute to POST, and although at some point I managed to get past POST successfully, all it takes is a reboot or shutdown to fail POST the next time. In short, I can't boot the RAMs at anything above 5200MHz, and even when I can, the POST takes >1 minute and fails most of the time (at 5200 seems to work fine, and POST times are around 10/15 sec).

I've been trying everything, watched lots of videos about this, tested profiles I've seen online for RAMs with similar modules, but to no avail. I no longer know if the problem is with the mobo / cpu, or with the RAMs because of point 2 (below).

To make things easier, I'll summarize some of the tests I've done:

1 - Test each DIMM individually (1x16) only in the first slot (according to the manual - DIMM_A2) at 6000MHz. Result = POSTs with both DIMMs at 6000MHz, but takes >1 min.
2 - Test each DIMM individually only in the second slot (this is not the correct layout in the manual, but I wanted to test if the mobo slot was damaged?), at 6000 MHz. Result = POST failure with both DIMMs.
3 - Reinstall the 2 RAMs in dual channel, according to the correct position, and tested setting the voltage to 1.4v for the RAMs (VDD and VDDQ) @ 6000 MHz. Result = Usually it POSTs the first time (>1 min POST time), but fails the next reboot or after 2 reboots.

Finally, I tested other set of RAMs from a friend (vengeance 32GB - CMK32GX5M2B6000Z30) and it did POST at 6000 MHz first try, then I tried 3 reboots and the machine always rebooted without failing to POST and, a curious thing, is that the time to POST was much shorter (15 seconds +/-). Maybe it was just luck, and maybe it would fail after a few more reboots, but just the fact that the POST time has normalized makes the behavior very different.

In short: it seems to be the RAM, right? The point is that when I tested booting them individually, they only booted at 6000 in the first slot, and not in the second (DIMM_B2), which made me wonder if it was something on the board...

However, when I tested with these other RAMs, coincidence or not, the system seemed much more stable at POST, and the POST times were MUCH shorter.

Any ideas other than changing the RAMs?

Thank you!!