[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 3900x hits 95c when mining

Sep 10, 2021
Hello folks,

I tested monero mining with my 3900x and everything went well, 13k h/s until the thermal throttle hit my cpu when it reached 95c after a short amount of time. Right now with only with browser and discord open I'm running at approx 58c which is pretty much fine. I have already checked my thermal paste and it was pretty much fine. Do you have any ideas on how I could lower my CPU temp as I don't want it to run on 95c constantly for obvious reasons.

EDIT: I am using this fan to cool my CPU. Now that I'm thinking about it, is this even appropriate to cool my ryzen 9?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
This is just a Gaming PC, not a mining rig. It is not supposed to mine crypto either, I was just playing around. Woah, I am not sure about my case but, It's fairly "compact" and has a... well, not the best airflow.
It will need fans front rear to exhaust heat, and a location up front to mount an AIO radiator. Or enough clear space over it to fit a large air cooler.

What people typically do with mining rigs is mount them in an open air frame...or simply on a box...with big fans blowing on the rig at full speed. They're located in a room that's kept cool too. It's not about being pretty, it's about hash rates, so keeping it cool means it will keep hashing at max rate without burning up too soon.
Wraithe Prism is not nearly enough if the Monero mining algorithm is heavy with AVX instructions. It's not really enough for a 3900x even for routine work.

You'll need a proper 240 or 280 mm AIO if you intend to do this 24/7. And a case with decent airflow to keep the VRM on your motherboard from overheating too.

Also, be sure to set alarms in the motherboard BIOS for the AIO pump should it fail in operation.

Sep 10, 2021
Wraithe Prism is not nearly enough if the Monero mining algorithm is heavy with AVX instructions. It's not really enough for a 3900x even for routine work.

You'll need a proper 240 or 280 mm AIO if you intend to do this 24/7. And a case with decent airflow to keep the VRM on your motherboard from overheating too.

Also, be sure to set alarms in the motherboard BIOS for the AIO pump should it fail in operation.
Well, this anyways was just a test run so I could see how it performs when mining monero. When setting up my mining rigs I will most likely go with CPUs like the ryzen 7 3700x and the ryzen 5 3600x which I think, should be ok with this cooler. Even though my temps whilst gaming are pretty much fine, I was already expecting something like this since after a bit of google research, people said that it is fine for ryzens 5 and 7 but shouldn't be used for a ryzen 9. Would you mind linking me an appropriate cooler for the ryzen 9 that could withstand 24/7 mining?

Well, this anyways was just a test run so I could see how it performs when mining monero. When setting up my mining rigs I will most likely go with CPUs like the ryzen 7 3700x and the ryzen 5 3600x which I think, should be ok with this cooler. Even though my temps whilst gaming are pretty much fine, I was already expecting something like this since after a bit of google research, people said that it is fine for ryzens 5 and 7 but shouldn't be used for a ryzen 9. Would you mind linking me an appropriate cooler for the ryzen 9 that could withstand 24/7 mining?

What case are you running this in? or is it an open-air bench rig?

I wouldn't run even a 3700X on the Prism 24/7 if it entails a lot of AVX work. It will get hot and pull back clocks which will only hurt your hash rate.

A decent enough 280mm AIO for the 3900X.

A decent enough air cooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: UnkxwnUser
Sep 10, 2021
What case are you running this in? or is it an open-air bench rig?

I wouldn't run even a 3700X on the Prism 24/7 if it entails a lot of AVX work. It will get hot and pull back clocks which will only hurt your hash rate.
This is just a Gaming PC, not a mining rig. It is not supposed to mine crypto either, I was just playing around. Woah, I am not sure about my case but, It's fairly "compact" and has a... well, not the best airflow.

It will need fans front rear to exhaust heat, and a location up front to mount an AIO radiator. Or enough clear space over it to fit a large air cooler.

What people typically do with mining rigs is mount them in an open air frame...or simply on a box...with big fans blowing on the rig at full speed. They're located in a room that's kept cool too. It's not about being pretty, it's about hash rates, so keeping it cool means it will keep hashing at max rate without burning up too soon.

Solution
Sep 10, 2021

What people typically do with mining rigs is mount them in an open air frame. Or simply on a box with big fans blowing on the rig at full speed. They're located in a room that's kept cool too. It's not about being pretty, it's about hash rates.
That's the plan. As I mentioned, this will not be a mining rig as I use this PC for work and gaming so it will never be involved into any of the mining, this was for pure testing purposes.

Sep 10, 2021
I have just noticed something when starting to mine. The higher the temps go the slower my fan spins until it almost stops. What the frick? Do you know what could cause this issue?

I have just noticed something when starting to mine. The higher the temps go the slower my fan spins until it almost stops. What the frick? Do you know what could cause this issue?
no idea. it's counter-productive to say the least. It may be an NTC thermistor that runs the internal fan speed control is damaged...turning it into a PTC. But that's crazy.

Be sure it's connected to the CPU Fan header on your motherboard and set a profile that's fixed at max speed or +12V constantly and see if it continues with that.

Sep 10, 2021
no idea. it's counter-productive to say the least. It may be an NTC thermistor that runs the internal fan speed control is damaged...turning it into a PTC. But that's crazy.

Be sure it's connected to the CPU Fan header on your motherboard and set a profile that's fixed at max speed or +12V constantly and see if it continues with that.
Yup, I haven't ever seen this either, really weird. At least it kind of explains the quick rise in temperature. (it goes from 65 to 95 in like 30 seconds). Thanks for the suggestions, I will further on look around on the internet.

Sep 27, 2021
Yeah man I hear you I have a 3900x originally with a Kracken 120 AIO on it, and it would hit 95 degrees with in seconds of starting monero algorythm, and I got pissed, I thought surely my AIO was faulty, I cant control it in the software like I should, Anyways because Im in an ITX case I only have room for a 120, So I went with thr Enermax 120 AIO, It looked better in my all white rig anyways, other than enermax itself looks kind of Bobo, anyways the enrmax did better holding off 95 degrees for about 2 minutes but it eventually gets there, Im going to check my PWM settings on my Mobo tonight and make sure the AIO is at full honk, but Im getting the feeling that the 3900x with all of its cores and stuff can really crank on that monero algo RX/0 and it just gets hot AF, the 3900x does more work than my r7 3700x, my R9 4000 series in my laptop, and 3 intel I7s I have put together, so I dunno. Seems to be something to undervolting too, Im going to try to undervolt and underclock maybe to get a good hash rate that doesn't nuke my pooter