[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 3900x or Intel i9 9900k with gpu?

Jul 15, 2020
Im not too sure on what cpu to get. I know the i9 9900k is a bit faster for games while the ryzen 9 3900x is better for everything else. I just need to know what will work better with my current gpu.

I currently have

EVGA geforce gtx 1080ti 11gb
32gb 2 x 16 3600 CL16 trident Gskill
750 watt Thermaltake
Im going to get a new motherboard with the new cpu

Solution
You already got the answer, for most games, specially at low resolution and details settings intel is the way to go.

Between the two the Core i9 9900K seems to be the best option (according to benchmarks and lots of reviews).
You will need a decent cooler, good and speedy RAM and a Z390 motherboard to be able to OC or atleast enable MCE. But you will be building on a death platform with no other better CPU to put on it later on.

That why some of us told you is best to go with the 10th gen intel CPUs. And the Core i5 10600K or the Core i7 10700K with some easy teawking can give almost same FPS as even the almighty Core i9 10900K (And that means any of those 3 chips will be able to give more frames than the 9900K).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'll try to simplify it:
Intel K cpu(overclocking)
Z mobo(overclocking)
High end cooler(overclocking)
Dual channel, 3200mhz or higher ram
Top tier gpu
Play at 1080p or lower
^Best gaming performance, everything else is ok, money no object.

AMD cpu
B or X mobo
Mid to high end cooler
Dual channel, up to 3733mhz, CL 16/17
Play at 1440p or higher
^Good gaming performance, best overall productivity performance, more value conscious.
At the higher resolutions, Intel loses it speed advantage - gpu bound, duh - thus AMD options tend to match them in performance.

Jul 15, 2020
I dont know much about this stuff so thats pretty confusing to me but I tend to play on low (competitive) Settings. which cpu will perform better on my 1080ti?

I've been watching benchmarks but I just cant seem to decide on what one to get. If i got the ryzen 9 3900x I was thinking about getting a cheaper end x570 motherboard

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Im not too sure on what cpu to get. I know the i9 9900k is a bit faster for games while the ryzen 9 3900x is better for everything else. I just need to know what will work better with my current gpu.

I currently have

EVGA geforce gtx 1080ti 11gb
32gb 2 x 16 3600 CL16 trident Gskill
750 watt Thermaltake
Im going to get a new motherboard with the new cpu
Either and both. Depends on what your mainly doing with the PC.

Without considering price gaming, i7 10700K you will need good cooling and motherboard in the 200 buck area I would recommend the MSI Z490 Tomahawk. Depending on the game a 10600K could be fine.

I dont know much about this stuff so thats pretty confusing to me but I tend to play on low (competitive) Settings. which cpu will perform better on my 1080ti?

I've been watching benchmarks but I just cant seem to decide on what one to get. If i got the ryzen 9 3900x I was thinking about getting a cheaper end x570 motherboard

If you play Competitive games like Fornite, CSGO, R6S and the likes you don't really need a Core i9 9900K or Ryzen 9 3900X, unless of course you also use the PC for working on heavy threaded tasks (rendering, compiling, photo editing, etc).

So for those kind of games I wrote (and acutally for any kind of game) for me the best option right now is the Core 5 10600K. Add a budget, yet good Z490 mobo, plus some DDR4 3600 CL16 RAM in dual channel + a good cooler and you are all set. Heck you could even use a top of the line RTX 2080TI.

Jul 15, 2020
My Main point is that I need to know if Either the i9 9900k or the ryzen 9 3900x will bottleneck my gpu, and which one will work the best with my current gpu. I want maximum frames.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I dont know much about this stuff so thats pretty confusing to me but I tend to play on low (competitive) Settings.
Oh... No good, eh?

which cpu will perform better on my 1080ti?
Depends on what you play. Some games favor Intel, others favor AMD.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDGWijdBDvM

Forget you ever saw, or even went to that garbage site.

My Main point is that I need to know if Either the i9 9900k or the ryzen 9 3900x will bottleneck my gpu, and which one will work the best with my current gpu. I want maximum frames.
1)If you're playing at 1080p or lower, the limitation is the cpu.
2)Depends on the games you play.
3)Generally speaking, Intel should be the way to go, but you have to splurge and overclock the cpu to reap the benefits.

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 15, 2020
Alright so if it were you and you wanted the best fps at low quality settings with my current specs. would you go with i9 9900k or ryzen 9 3900x.

Ive been researching for hours. I appreciate everyone's help.

You already got the answer, for most games, specially at low resolution and details settings intel is the way to go.

Between the two the Core i9 9900K seems to be the best option (according to benchmarks and lots of reviews).
You will need a decent cooler, good and speedy RAM and a Z390 motherboard to be able to OC or atleast enable MCE. But you will be building on a death platform with no other better CPU to put on it later on.

That why some of us told you is best to go with the 10th gen intel CPUs. And the Core i5 10600K or the Core i7 10700K with some easy teawking can give almost same FPS as even the almighty Core i9 10900K (And that means any of those 3 chips will be able to give more frames than the 9900K).

Last edited:
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I simply wouldn't, because for gaming only, they both suck now - IMO.
10600K has the most overclocking headroom
10700K has a little OC headroom, which is kind of funny, as it's basically a 9900K - don't know why you're not looking at the newer 10th gen...
10900K apparently has none, which surprised the heck out of me when I found that out.

3900X, 3800X, 3700X, 3600X, 3950X... they're all roughly the same in games. That just leaves the thread count.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Because they're Intel. No, seriously.
The company's pride refuses - or perhaps stubbornly - to allow them to lower their prices.
Same reason why their cpus from 5-10 years ago, if they are still available, are still priced close to retail.
Same reason why some 2nd hand owner still sell the old ones for near retail or more... No, wait... that's just greed.

Reactions: RodroX