Question Ryzen Temp Spikes on New Motherboard

BrainGlue

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
I recently upgraded my motherboard from Asus Prime x570-P to Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master or my Ryzen 3950x. I have been having issues with CPU temp spikes. It would run at around 32 deg C on idle, but frequently spikes to as high as 58 deg C, especially when I perform non-intensive tasks such as opening Chrome. I have never had this issue with my old, less expensive Asus motherboard, in which the CPU temp would increase to 48 deg as highest even under load. I have been using the same AIO (Corsair h100i Platinum 240mm)

Of note, I have updated the BIOS and have the latest chipset drivers. I usually have the power plan on Ryzen "High Performance" setting, which is the same setting I had when using the old Asus motherboard. I disabled Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) because I read somewhere that disabling PBO might be helpful, but still no avail.

I really want this motherboard to work properly, but have to return it and go back to my Asus if this is an ongoing issue. Of note, this is my first time using a Gigabyte motherboard so I am not as familiar as I am with Asus.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Why did you change motherboards what was the point? seems like a lot of work unless you had to have one feature it had.

MB's work differently. You can change settings to turn off the "auto overclocks" cause each MB's is handling that different. What happens when you stress test it?

I have a feeling this is like the 89483 threads we get per week about CPU temps, if your not hitting thermal thottle while benchmarking or gaming do you really care?

If you want a cooler chip run celeron intel CPU, or put the computer into a deep freeze. I think we we worry a lot about temps under thermal thorrtle for 99.99% no reason.................

BrainGlue

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Why did you change motherboards what was the point? seems like a lot of work unless you had to have one feature it had.

MB's work differently. You can change settings to turn off the "auto overclocks" cause each MB's is handling that different. What happens when you stress test it?

I have a feeling this is like the 89483 threads we get per week about CPU temps, if your not hitting thermal thottle while benchmarking or gaming do you really care?

If you want a cooler chip run celeron intel CPU, or put the computer into a deep freeze. I think we we worry a lot about temps under thermal thorrtle for 99.99% no reason.................

Of note, this is not a gaming rig and I use it for music production. I got the new board for some ancillary features such as the extra M.2 slot (I use multiple M.2 drives) and Thunderbolt 3 header in case I need it in the future (some audio interfaces utilize Thunderbolt).