Question Ryzen Threadripper Pro 7995WX or Ryzen 9 7950X3D or Intel Core i9-14900KF ?

Nov 4, 2023
I am trying my best to select parts for my PC that I will build for Unreal Engine 5 /C++. Can you tell me is AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro WX series better than AMD Ryzen mainstream or Intel Core i9? Please leave a reply.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I am trying my best to select parts for my PC that I will build for Unreal Engine 5 /C++. Can you tell me is AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro WX series better than AMD Ryzen mainstream or Intel Core i9? Please leave a reply.
Better value, no they are not even in the same universe for value. Better performance depends on what you are doing with it and whether what you are doing can scale to 96 cores or not. You may get better performance if you go for a threadripper 7975wx. I mean sure it only has 32 cores vs 96, but if your workload can't use 96 cores then there is not much point. Not to mention with a very good cooler, you could probably overclock it to 5GHz. If you care about your money at all, I would go for a core i9/ryzen 9.

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Nov 4, 2023
Better value, no they are not even in the same universe for value. Better performance depends on what you are doing with it and whether what you are doing can scale to 96 cores or not. You may get better performance if you go for a threadripper 7975wx. I mean sure it only has 32 cores vs 96, but if your workload can't use 96 cores then there is not much point. Not to mention with a very good cooler, you could probably overclock it to 5GHz. If you care about your money at all, I would go for a core i9/ryzen 9.
My workload has no limit for how many cores it can use (as of now. No one has ever hit the limit yet on Threadripper Pro WX series) as Unreal Engine 5 needs it for compiling the C++ code.

Nov 4, 2023
I don't think any workload necessarily has a limit for how many cores it can use, but whether the performance scales to those cores is another story.
Well, the faster I can compile the code, the more iterations I can run, the better the game will be. Not to mention I'm trying to use 2 GeForce RTX 4090 GPUs in the system and 20TB of SATA storage

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Well, the faster I can compile the code, the more iterations I can run, the better the game will be. Not to mention I'm trying to use 2 GeForce RTX 4090 GPUs in the system and 20TB of SATA storage
Ok now I understand what I am working with here, I didn't know that you had 2 RTX 4090s. In that case you would maybe need to either overclock the 7995wx or get the 7975wx. The low 2.5 GHz base clock on the 7995wx may bottleneck the 4090s.

Nov 4, 2023
Ok now I understand what I am working with here, I didn't know that you had 2 RTX 4090s. In that case you would maybe need to either overclock the 7995wx or get the 7975wx. The low 2.5 GHz base clock on the 7995wx may bottleneck the 4090s.
That shouldn't be a problem as I have seen people run 3 to 4 GeForce RTX 4090s on 1 Ryzen Threadripper Pro 5995WX and this is a 7995WX so, it should not bottleneck seriously

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
That shouldn't be a problem as I have seen people run 3 to 4 GeForce RTX 4090s on 1 Ryzen Threadripper Pro 5995WX and this is a 7995WX so, it should not bottleneck seriously
That depends on what those other people were doing with it. Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should. I also don't understand how you run 3 to 4 4090s in a normal desktop PC because the 4090 is a huge GPU and would likely cover PCIe slots below it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
If time is money then yes or you might get by with a 7975 32 cores 64 threads.
I've not seen any of these for sale yet.

Edit this is a bit older since it talks about the 5xxx threadripper.

Nov 4, 2023
If time is money then yes or you might get by with a 7975 32 cores 64 threads.
I've not seen any of these for sale yet.

Edit this is a bit older since it talks about the 5xxx threadripper.

It will be released after November 20th this year so yeah, nothing wrong

Nov 4, 2023
I am building a workstation for UE5 and I wonder should I go with AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 5000 WX series or AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 7000 WX series. The former supports DDR4 ECC memory whereas the latter supports DDR5 ECC memory. Which one should I choose. DDR4 or DDR5. Any suggestions?

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
If you're spending this kind of money on parts I'd hope you would do your own research and confirm your findings with others rather than asking these vague (largely pointless) open ended questions to strangers who in all likelihood are completely unqualified to answer. This isn't even a developer forum, most here are PC gaming enthusiasts who have never seen and would have no use for a Threadripper platform. As it stands a lot of this reads like thinly veiled bragging.

Wuwu

Great
Oct 30, 2023
I am a little confused.

Are you a developer or are you starting out and just messing with Unreal Engine?

It's a lot of money for something you may never get any productivity from.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023
If you're spending this kind of money on parts I'd hope you would do your own research and confirm your findings with others rather than asking these vague (largely pointless) open ended questions to strangers who in all likelihood are completely unqualified to answer. This isn't even a developer forum, most here are PC gaming enthusiasts who have never seen and would have no use for a Threadripper platform. As it stands a lot of this reads like thinly veiled bragging.
I don't know how this works but I am considering investing in a 30,000 dollar Threadripper Pro workstation to earn money by spending money.

Nov 4, 2023
And you are going to jump to a $30k build? That seems extreme and not recommended unless you currently have work to pay for this and not just speculation.

What are the specs for the computer that crashed on the second day?
Here you go:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Mobo: ASUS AM4 motherboard mATX (I am not sure about it but it is a normal motherboard, not to high end)
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz (Dual channel 2x8) (Now it is 32GB Dual channel 4x8)
GPU: AMD Radeon Integrated Graphics
PSU: 700W PSU
Cooler: AMD stock cooler

Some additional info: the max clock speed the CPU was at during compile was 4.2GHz or 4.19 to be precise. And 100% utilisation on all 6 cores

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Again, get on a dev forum, start one thread explaining what your use case is and asking for recommendations, not one for RAM, one for GPU, one for motherboard and so on. Yes, there are some here with development experience, but they are the exception rather than the rule.