[SOLVED] Safe Mode + New GPU Killed My Computer.

ocrymble

Commendable
Nov 26, 2018
I just bought an RTX 2060s and looked up how to install it. So I uninstalled my current 1060 drivers, restarted and everything works without the drivers. So I downloaded DDU for a full driver reset so I can install the 2060 clean and before I did anything I booted my PC up into Safe Mode through msconfig, as going through the Win + R menu didn't work and shut off my PC. (But turned on afterwards just fine)

SO, now my PC will not turn on. I've replaced the CMOS, reset it, made sure my wires are all tight but the PC will only turn on (fans + leds) and nothing else. The Power LED will not turn on and wont even boot into BIOS (Black-screen). What the hell can I do? I haven't even touched my 2060 yet and my computer went to <Mod Edit>. Any help is extraordinary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
what make/model PSU?
and what makes you believe that it may not be the culprit? have you tried it in another system or another in yours?

though this MSI X99 board got terrible reviews when it came out. many users and review sites claimed they received DOA boards and others claiming that it died or caused other components to malfunction soon after purchase.

if you have multiple RAM modules;
try each separately in each DIMM slot.

and considering what you've already done;
the easiest way to further trouble shoot is to try swapping out components. if you have another system available with similar working hardware, through friends family etc; swap out the PSU, RAM, CPU and see if your devices function in this other system.
...I've...

ocrymble

Commendable
Nov 26, 2018
sounds like the PSU may have malfunctioned.
but try removing the GPU and using your onboard graphics.

you will have to post your complete system specs for anyone to give much more advice on what to do.

My PSU most likely isn't the issue, I have tried removing the GPU and it didn't work. + my mother board doesn't have any Video Ports so I couldn't see the monitor without a GPU.

Specs:
MSI X99A Raider
GTX 1070 EVGA OC
i7-6800k @3.4Ghz (6cx12t)
500GB SSD
2TB HDD
16GB DDR4 Corsair
800W PSU 80+ Bronze

what make/model PSU?
and what makes you believe that it may not be the culprit? have you tried it in another system or another in yours?

though this MSI X99 board got terrible reviews when it came out. many users and review sites claimed they received DOA boards and others claiming that it died or caused other components to malfunction soon after purchase.

if you have multiple RAM modules;
try each separately in each DIMM slot.

and considering what you've already done;
the easiest way to further trouble shoot is to try swapping out components. if you have another system available with similar working hardware, through friends family etc; swap out the PSU, RAM, CPU and see if your devices function in this other system.
...I've replaced the CMOS, reset it...
you mean you replaced the CMOS battery?

and make sure you did a full CMOS hard reset;
power down, switch PSU to off, remove DC power cable.
remove CMOS battery and wait at least 5mins.
then hold down case power button for at least 30secs.
now replace battery and power back up.

Last edited:
Solution
and make sure you did a full CMOS hard reset;
power down, switch PSU to off, remove DC power cable.
remove CMOS battery and wait at least 5mins.
then hold down case power button for at least 30secs.
now replace battery and power back up.
Confirm you touched nothing on the inside of your PC prior to this issue.

Even without removing the CMOS battery this may do the trick. When you hold down the power button, you should see the fans turn than stop (30 seconds is a bit excessive, 10 seconds should do the job). This will remove the residual power in the PSU and clear the RAM.