Question Safe to keep original hdd inside after cloning it to ssd ?

Aug 8, 2019
Just finished installing a new ssd inside my pc and cloning my old hdd with OS and all my files to the ssd ( currently getting prompt to shutdown PC from samsung data migration software)

I'd like to know if it's safe to keep both my hdd and ssd inside my PC since they're clones and both bootable drives.

since I intend to keep the old hdd as storage/archive of my old files and use my ssd as boot drive

( I run windows 10)

Aug 8, 2019
It's safe, Just set in BIOS the SSD as the 1st boot drive.
Rip, I changed boot order, but it still boots from my hdd and my ssd is no longer visible in "my pc" but I can still see it as an option in bios

Some extra details, my ssd is connected to data port 2, and I think I assigned it to letter D for the very first time, but I think it should be C after the clone?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019
Apparently, cloning went wrong. Try different program.
Just solved it:
After further inspection under disk management I found an error saying my disk was offline due to signature collision

I changed the signature by right clicking the offline disk and selecting online under help ( this instantly resolved my problem and made the disk online again)

Rebooted and now both my ssd and hdd are online. And my PC booted from my ssd this time ! :)

USAFRet

Titan
I would actually wipe the old drive, instead of keeping it in there with the old OS and files.

You can use it for backup images or whatever you choose, but keeping it as a bootable drive in the condition of 'today' is just wasted space.

I've seen a couple of instances where the system booted from the old drive, and the user couldn't tell what was going on.
All he saw was..."Hey, this looks old". It all worked, but 'old'.
Thought it was a virus or Windows update gone wrong.
Two days of investigation, turns out it was a bad SATA cable on the primary drive.

Aug 8, 2019
I would actually wipe the old drive, instead of keeping it in there with the old OS and files.

You can use it for backup images or whatever you choose, but keeping it as a bootable drive in the condition of 'today' is just wasted space.

I've seen a couple of instances where the system booted from the old drive, and the user couldn't tell what was going on.
All he saw was..."Hey, this looks old". It all worked, but 'old'.
Thought it was a virus or Windows update gone wrong.
Two days of investigation, turns out it was a bad SATA cable on the primary drive.

What do you mean by condition of "today"?

But I see your point, I defragmented my hdd just before the data migration. When I rebooted I thought at first I was booting from my ssd because my system was running smoother. Only realized I was still on my hdd after checking task managers performance tab

USAFRet

Titan
A clone is a single snapshot in time.
The day you created it, and consumes the whole drive.

Images, you can create multiples, and have them live on the same drive.
A Full Image followed by a series of Differential or Incremental...Gives you much greater depth of what to recover, and you can use the rest of the drive for whatever you choose.

TRENDING THREADS