Question Samsung 850 evo SSD dead?

Aug 26, 2019
Watch your Language
Hello folks,

My hair has been falling since saturday, my computer is being not able to detect my Samsung 850 evo 250gb since.
I can't remember if last time it was running i quited normally or through the power button.
I tried:
  • switching sata wires, all works fine.
  • clearing cmos and a bios firmware update but nothing. And a rainbow of BIOS combination setups.
  • about 10 power cycles (~>=60 min only power + 30 s without power + start process again) with 0 results.
When I run into the BIOS device is never detected except when I switch from sata AHCI mode to RAID mode. In that case if i run any linux based OS (didn't tried with windows) it detects the device but the "Boot device error" appears . If I execute any live utility the drive is detected at the device manager but I'm not able to mount it.

Also, in RAID mode, I tried with UBCD Hardware Detection Tool and I've discovered that my ssd have 3 partitions with negative cylindres and one of then marks as a 960Gb size (exact size like my 1TB hdd seagate drive), so extrange!!.

I can't remember if 3 years ago I make a misstake enabling raid mode or what happened but,

can someone tell me if my drive has any possible chance for returning back to life? it was too young.

My setup:
  • i5 660k
  • msi z170a pc mate
  • sata 1 - samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd
  • sata 4 - seagate 1 Tb hdd
  • 16 gb RAM 2133MHz

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019
did you try to switch sata spot with HDD?
Sorry for the late response.

Yes, as I said at the begining.

Anyway, after trying all mentioned above + the next:
  • With a SATA to USB drive i tried to see partition tables with Samsung Magician, Crucial Storage Executive, MBRTool, MBRWork, UBCD, AOEMI Recovery Tool.
  • Activate SATA Hot plug at UEFI and then expecting windows or linux drive detection with zero results excepting a freeze in windows 10 :)
Last night i used chckdisk from AOEMI and observed all major of sectors were corrupted so i suppose my ssd is ready to be recycled in a new tool.

I've received a 2 new SSD but (M2. Crucial MX500 and SATA 3 Crucial BX480) and installed Windows 10 on the M.2.
I must say I was having problems detecting the new BX480 but it looks ok after some Crucial Storage Executive scans and SMART looks normal. Also perfomed a AOEMI checkdisk check and all it's ok.