Question Samsung 970 Evo Plus is running half speed but PCIe using 4 lanes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2020
Hi All,

I have recently installed the samsung 970 EVO plus 500GB SSD in my laptop. But, I am getting only half of the mentioned speed. I did check online and it seems for many people the reason is that PCIe 3.0 x4 was using 2 lanes instead of 4. However, I can see 4 lanes being used in HWiNFO64. I have attached the required screenshots below. Do you guys know what could be going wrong here? Appreciate your help.

My laptop information

KYibzfj.jpg

0FcqhTn.jpg

Samsung magician information

VH8YGNx.jpg

PCIE information

IhMgjZf.jpg

A95efh0.jpg

Speed check:

uGVC6Kp.jpg

From what I understand it's a power-saving feature that also reduces heat generation. I'll be honest - I haven't played around with it much, although it might very well be locked out of possible BIOS options. In the past I've modded BIOS but I haven't spent much time with my newest laptop in that regard. A separate concern you might notice is that the NVMe drive won't expose a driver since the SATA mode is RAID rather than AHCI and therefore the NVMe drive falls under Intel RST. For that you have to set SATA to AHCI and often reinstall Windows unfortunately.

I suppose this is something I should mess with, it wasn't a big concern for me since sequential performance on a laptop is basically pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.