Question Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 shows in Bios and Device Manager, but not in Disk Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2021
I recently purchased a Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 SSD, I installed it and it shows in my bios and device manager. But when I go to Disk Management it doesn't show up at all. I've tried several solutions and none have worked.

specs
- MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-MAX-WIFI
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600x https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600x
- Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/980/
- 2 Western Digital 1tb hard drives

Check windows storage spaces.
If Samsung 980 appears there, then remove it from storage pool.

If it it isn't in storage spaces, then install nvme drivers. Get it from samsung.

BTW - what windows version are you using? Hope it isn't windows 7.

Aug 4, 2021
How is it I've spent several hours wanting to die. And what took you one simple sentence was the solution. Thank you so much sir. And im on windows 10 not sure if thats still relevant though.

newbie12

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Check windows storage spaces.
If Samsung 980 appears there, then remove it from storage pool.

If it it isn't in storage spaces, then install nvme drivers. Get it from samsung.

BTW - what windows version are you using? Hope it isn't windows 7.
Why not windows 7? Doesn't it work on windows 7?

Also this is the storage pool you're talking about:
storage-space.png

(I have the PRO version if that matters)?

newbie12

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Install the NVME driver and it should then appear.
Show me where to download the drivers for the 980 Pro because I don't see it on their download list section on the samsung site.
Windows 7 natively doesn't support NVME.
Specific hotfixes and NVME driver has to be installed before you can use NVME drives.
But after that, you can use it, right? Or would you still have issues?

Show me where to download the drivers for the 980 Pro because I don't see it on their download list section on the samsung site.
Samsung NVME driver
But after that, you can use it, right? Or would you still have issues?
After 2 necessary hotfixes and nvme driver is installed, you can use NVME drives on windows 7.
Required hotfixes are these. It may be necessary to download and install them manually.
KB2990941​
KB3087873​

newbie12

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Samsung NVME driver
This driver supports Samsung NVMe™ SSD 970 PRO, 970 EVO, 970 EVO Plus, 960 PRO, 960 EVO and 950 PRO.
I don't see it mentioning the 980 Pro or any of the 980 series.....do you see it? Or am I blind?😕🤨🤔🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️
After 2 necessary hotfixes and nvme driver is installed, you can use NVME drives on windows 7.
Required hotfixes are these. It may be necessary to download and install them manually.
KB2990941​
KB3087873​
Hmm, interesting to know if I ever downgrade to windows 7 and use NVME as a boot drive. Thanks!

I don't see it mentioning the 980 Pro or any of the 980 series.....do you see it? Or am I blind?😕🤨🤔🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️
Scroll down to Drivers section,
find Samsung NVME driver,
download and install it.

The driver is compatible with all Samsung NVME drives. Even with non-Samsung drives too.
I guess 980 series is new enough product and they have not updated drivers download page yet.

newbie12

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Scroll down to Drivers section,
find Samsung NVME driver,
download and install it.

The driver is compatible with all Samsung NVME drives. Even with non-Samsung drives too.
I guess 980 series is new enough product and they have not updated drivers download page yet.
HI,

Just tried it, doesn't work:
7050B20978130BDBAD85D78F643C3B42DA38AA07

You were saying?

newbie12

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Installer checks for drive being used. Ir requires Samsung device.

But it is possible install Samsung NVME driver using drivers from Gigabyte windows USB tool.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Utility?kw=windows&p=1

Or you can install Intel NVME driver.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...microsoft-windows-drivers-for-intel-ssds.html
Thanks, here's an update.

the usb install on gigabyte's website is for windows 7 only and for x470 boards as well, mine is an x570 board. Different.

I ran the Intel installer and installed fine. Still did not make the drive detectable.

I restarted, into BIOS/UEFI did some more snooping around. Found an option for NVME RAID and turned it on. Rebooted back into windows and the drive got detected!

Finally progress! The Samsung driver still didn't work even though the drive was now detected but at least I was able to get int disk management, initialize the disk and create a partition on it and then use the data migration tool to clone the RAID1 array to the SSD so that I would be using the SSD as the boot drive instead of the RAID1 setup.

Disconnected the RAID1 setup to make sure it was able to boot from the now cloned SSD boot drive and it does. Reconnect back and the system prioritize the RAID1 boot sector instead of the SSD's boot sector for some reason even selecting the different RAID boot management entry. So had to clean out the RAID1 by zeroing both drives and then re-RAIDing them back and then tada!

newbie12

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Why did you ask about windows 7 then? If that is in no way related to your issue?
Do you not see, why this would create a confusion?
I guess you two missed this part:
Hmm, interesting to know if I ever downgrade to windows 7 and use NVME as a boot drive. Thanks!
SO I only asked out of curiosity, that was it! :p Sorry if it confused you lot....

Status
Not open for further replies.