[SOLVED] Samsung PM981 SSD reliability?

superevans

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Hi, There's a deal going on near my place of a Samsung PM981 256 GB going for $35 USD. So before I pick this up, I have several questions regarding it. I'm going to use in an Acer Aspire E5-476G
  1. How is the reliability on this thing? There isn't much data regarding it on the internet
  2. Is it a good buy at that price?
  3. Is there a better SATA m.2 SSD around that price and storage that you guys recommend if the PM981 isn't good reliability-wise?
  4. Does my laptop (Acer E5-476G) even support NVMe drives?

Thanks!

Solution
Ok, but if I bought an NVMe SSD, will it still work? I understand my laptop won't be able to utilise NVMe, but will it still run?
If you're laptop won't be able to utilize NVMe then it won't work.

Will buying an NVMe drive still function on my laptop? Or will NVMe drives not work on my laptop?
Nope it won't.
Get a M.2 SATA SSD like the Samsung 860 EVO or SP Ace A55
By the way, depending on what you do, you might not see a difference in performance between NVMe SSD and SATA.
That speed difference you see on paper, doesn't translate in most day to day computer usage.
Samsung SSDs are at the top when it comes to reliability, but you should always backup data that you consider important...any device under the sun could fail.
I have use SSDs from several manufacturers (Intel, ADATA, Crucial, SanDisk, SP, etc) and none have failed.
As far as I know the Acer E5-476G supports M.2 SATA SSD, it does not support M.2 NVMe SSD drives.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, There's a deal going on near my place of a Samsung PM981 256 GB going for $35 USD. So before I pick this up, I have several questions regarding it. I'm going to use in an Acer Aspire E5-476G
  1. How is the reliability on this thing? There isn't much data regarding it on the internet
  2. Is it a good buy at that price?
  3. Is there a better SATA m.2 SSD around that price and storage that you guys recommend if the PM981 isn't good reliability-wise?
  4. Does my laptop (Acer E5-476G) even support NVMe drives?
Thanks!

4. No, it does not appear to.
Only SATA drives.
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/SG/content/model/NX.GWWSG.001

superevans

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Samsung SSDs are at the top when it comes to reliability, but you should always backup data that you consider important...any device under the sun could fail.
I have use SSDs from several manufacturers (Intel, ADATA, Crucial, SanDisk, SP, etc) and none have failed.
As far as I know the Acer E5-476G supports M.2 SATA SSD, it does not support M.2 NVMe SSD drives.

Ok, but if I bought an NVMe SSD, will it still work? I understand my laptop won't be able to utilise NVMe, but will it still run?

If you're laptop won't be able to utilize NVMe then it won't work.

Will buying an NVMe drive still function on my laptop? Or will NVMe drives not work on my laptop?
Nope it won't.
Get a M.2 SATA SSD like the Samsung 860 EVO or SP Ace A55
By the way, depending on what you do, you might not see a difference in performance between NVMe SSD and SATA.
That speed difference you see on paper, doesn't translate in most day to day computer usage.

Solution