Sandy Bridge-E CPUs Shipping Without Coolers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Sounds like babyspeak... Sandy Bridgy!

Though really, high end CPUs like this end up in mostly enthusiast hands, they'll have something planned or some other high end cooling system.

woffle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Wonder how many chips are going to be fried and questions about computers shutting down during/just after POST cause of people not using a heatsink.

Great for people that actually want to choose their own cooling though :)

G

[citation][nom]woffle[/nom]Wonder how many chips are going to be fried and questions about computers shutting down during/just after POST cause of people not using a heatsink.Great for people that actually want to choose their own cooling though[/citation]

The lower end ones will probably have a heatsink. A common Joe won't pay Top dollar for a box processor. Hopefully not, then they deserve it overheating :D

ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
The Intel train wreck just keeps piling up. Immediately after news of more "upgrade cards", Intel decides that spending $300 -1000 for a processor doesn't entitle its consumer to a $20 stock cooling solution... wow. Most people will dump the stock option, but Intel should offer something in exchange for their savings... maybe an upgrade card :p

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
So... First intel is gouging customers by selling scratch cards to unlock features of chips they already purchased. Now they are shipping chips without stock coolers, but guarantee they are not passing any savings onto the customer... no... instead they SELL you a heatsink lol Remind me again why I will never buy an intel chip no matter if they are faster than AMD or not? They are out to bend you over any way they can and make sure you have to buy a whole new mobo, chip and all every time you want to upgrade. And now want to gouge further! I bet next they will charge you for an intel sticker in the box. Just the intel way I guess!

I can say I was impressed on the 1100T I picked up a month ago from newegg, the stock heapipe cooler was impressive for stock, kept idle temps around 28C and allowed a stable overclock of 3.8 / 4ghz-turbo. Verified stable after 3 hours of burn in with all cores at 100% and no errors! Hottest it got in my well vented case was 45C!! And it came with the chip and I did not have to pay extra!

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom]Sounds like babyspeak... Sandy Bridgy!Though really, high end CPUs like this end up in mostly enthusiast hands, they'll have something planned or some other high end cooling system.[/citation]
I agree, to a certain extent. While I never used the stock cooler that came with my i7-950, I think it's still a good idea to include one in a retail package. Regardless of how crappy the heat dissipating performance may be, it's still rated to work fine at stock clocks, and it also gives the user the option to install a processor before investing in an after market cooling solution.

You're no longer getting a fully functioning component out of the box. You're basically getting an OEM processor with full retail packaging, and unfortunately at full retail price.

InTheCity

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge before I upgrade my i7-990X, a 20% increase is not worth another $1000.

My current I5 sandy bridge machine was not a great upgrade, but as another addition to my render farm, it certainly was cheap.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Meh. I'm perfectly happy with my little Phenom II quad humming along beside me. It's reliable, snappy, and it gets the job done. Maybe for someone who wants nothing other than bragging rigbhts, these will be worth it. But to people like me, being able to render a 3D layout in Blender or a video in After Effects 30% faster just isn't worth $1000.

Hell, I could buy a small boat for as much as the entire platform would cost. And it would do a lot more than a CPU will ever be able to do.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I bought my previous i7-785 boxed but without a cooler (the retail box had no room for one either). Whats the big deal??

jamsbong

Distinguished
May 7, 2002
Even as a PC game enthusiast, I am not convinced that a CPU with $1000 price tag has no cooler in it. Do they actually expect users to not make a mistake and buy the wrong heatsink and fried their new CPU?
Moreover, when you paid $1000 for a CPU you don't expect it is not bundled with a proper highend cooler.
It sounds to me like those lighten version of Porsche with no carpet, air-con, door handles, stereo, no insulation and yet they will sell the car for twice the price! Why don't I just get the fully equiped car and throw away all those extra weight and save myself 50% money?

G

What's the point in buying the highest end SB-E if they're just going to replace it 3 months later. Sounds like a waste of $1k. Intel just milking the their Extreme Edition CPUs.

idlerp

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]brickman[/nom]The lower end ones will probably have a heatsink. A common Joe won't pay Top dollar for a box processor. Hopefully not, then they deserve it overheating[/citation]

From personal experience it will happen, and it will happen often. I work for a company in the tech support/RMA department and I personally get at least 1 call a month from someone who has bought an $800 GPU that comes with a waterblock and that has put it in their system and had no idea they needed a water cooling loop.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]When are these first LGA 2011 chips coming out? I wasn't expecting them until nearly Christmas. Bulldozer's really going to be late to this party.[/citation]
That's probably about when they're coming out. The most recent road maps I've seen show Q4 2011, maybe in the October to November time frame.

[citation][nom]garage1217[/nom]So... First intel is gouging customers by selling scratch cards to unlock features of chips they already purchased. Now they are shipping chips without stock coolers, but guarantee they are not passing any savings onto the customer... no... instead they SELL you a heatsink lol Remind me again why I will never buy an intel chip no matter if they are faster than AMD or not? They are out to bend you over any way they can and make sure you have to buy a whole new mobo, chip and all every time you want to upgrade. And now want to gouge further! I bet next they will charge you for an intel sticker in the box. Just the intel way I guess!I can say I was impressed on the 1100T I picked up a month ago from newegg, the stock heapipe cooler was impressive for stock, kept idle temps around 28C and allowed a stable overclock of 3.8 / 4ghz-turbo. Verified stable after 3 hours of burn in with all cores at 100% and no errors! Hottest it got in my well vented case was 45C!! And it came with the chip and I did not have to pay extra![/citation]
you DO realize that the Thuban processors have a glitch in the thermal diode that causes the temperatures to be read as 10-12*C lower than they actually are, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.