[SOLVED] Sapphire ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series - PC Crashing Randomly

Aug 27, 2020
Hello, first time poster here.

I have had a problem with my computer ever since 2016 now, and after years of searching for answers, I think it's time for me to actually make a thread myself (lazy, I know).
My computer will crash at random times by the screen going black and the sound looping. Sometimes the sound loop occurs at the same time as the black screen, some times later than the black screen. It has also just straight up shut down unexpectedly, although that is more of a rare case.

The odd thing about the crashes is that it seemingly only has happened when I've been just using it casually (Browsing, writing, or just letting it play music in the background while I do other stuff). It has NEVER crashed when playing a game.

I thought my Issue was resolved in december of last year when i bought a secondary monitor. It didnt crash until June or July of this year, although the crashes were pretty rare.
The crashing got much worse again a few days ago when i bought a new monitor to replace my old one.

The specs for my computer are as follows:
-Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
-Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz Haswell 22nm Technology
-MSI H97 GAMING 3 (MS-7918)
-8192MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
-120GB Kingston SSD (for OS)
-1TB Western Digital HDD
-Corsair AX 760, 760W PSU
-2x HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 4GB (8GB Combined)

The monitors I have are two BenQ BL2780

Notable "solutions" i have tried are: changing power settings (dont remember what they were changed to), windows updates, reinstalling Windows one time in 2017 since my SSD died, removing my display drivers with DDU and reinstalling them, cleaning dust out (i do this atleast once a year regardless)
I have also never overclocked anything on my computer. Temperatures also seem pretty normal so I don't think its an overheat issue.

Solution
Running the card without drivers does not find the issue, many cards that are bad can run on the basic drivers. Only way to know for sure what component it is would be to swap it out for a known good one or swap it into another system to see if it fails there also. The chances are good it's the video card.
Did you actually test the hardware by swapping out for known good parts or testing yours in other systems. First thing I'd check is the video card, try another one see how the system runs, or use onboard audio only and check how it runs without the AMD card.

Aug 27, 2020
Did you actually test the hardware by swapping out for known good parts or testing yours in other systems. First thing I'd check is the video card, try another one see how the system runs, or use onboard audio only and check how it runs without the AMD card.

No, I don't have any other pieces of hardware to test in my system.
I used my computer for a while when i uninstalled all the drivers for my GPU with DDU, and it didn't crash once, although that could have been purely coincidental.
I'm pretty sure it is my GPU that is faulty, but I really want to nail it down 100% before I use money for a new one.

Running the card without drivers does not find the issue, many cards that are bad can run on the basic drivers. Only way to know for sure what component it is would be to swap it out for a known good one or swap it into another system to see if it fails there also. The chances are good it's the video card.

Solution