Save Tom's, Stop SOPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Man, China was the first thing that came to mind before you put it in there. I have many strong words and statements that could be said here but I will hold my tongue and contact my local rep. As all of us should! This is utter nonsense and idiocy. Although this is expected, great empires crumble from within.... When you try to control the people like this, they only fight back. We are not China, we aren't descendants of a people crushed by their own government. The US was founded by rebels, what do they expect the descendants of these same rebels to do once they start being controlled against their will again? Look to history congress, you may learn a few things.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Occupy the Internet! Post copyright material to the sites of anyone who has sway in DC. Find a forum on an Exxon website. Post to Youtube. Post to Amazon! We will fight on the beaches, we will fight on the landing grounds, we will never surrender!

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
This SOPA really has nothing to do with the control of piracy at all. It's simply a way for the government to gain more CONTROL of the internet. WE CANNOT LET THIS HAPPEN

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
damn U.S is coming like hitler dictaturship and korea ! Doesnt seem U.S is a free country anymore. All this because music label want to make more money and artist will get less, we should all rebel like else where against stupid people like that, that always need to get more money even if they are already rich.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Come on USA!
What are you doing?

The world hasn't event completely ditched "communism" with it's censorship, control, manipulation and the we know best what's good for you mentality and you're trying to recreate something similar ?

If this passes, I'll be deeply disappointed for the failure of the human race !

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
If uneducated politicians can pass bills like this which hold an enormous impact for our future, why do we keep electing them? Why don't they broadcast something like this instead of passing it while hoping no one notices? I wish I could have 30 minutes to debate with these "elected" officials....

Excellent summary guys. Thanks for putting this together.
It helped change my basic uncomfortable feelings about SOPA into certainty. It's a very bad thing, indeed.
I will be giving my elected representatives a call.

custodian-1

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
It didn't work in china. Private DNS server will fix the blacklisting problem. But please send emails and call your senators and representatives and complain or we will be reduced to using the internet like all the pirates do. I know a server in a far far away place. No George you can't claim it.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]cngledad[/nom]Is the US progressing backwards?[/citation]

The united states has been going in the wrong direction for a long time; for a country that preaches that everyone should have all these personal freedoms. They sure do have a lot of rules restricting what you can and can not do.

ps: If the united states did this; couldn't websites move out of the united states to...Canada? or Mexico? or anywhere else?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
It's like someone got bitten by a pesky mosquito and he called 911 for help and they nuke the city to kill that mosquito. Bye bye information superhighway.

G

It could be worse than Daft Punk, suppose Intel didn't want instruction on how to OC without burning the chip in the public. They could also aks for a takedown of the url.

G

"To conform to these new restrictions would mean that Tom’s Hardware would have to switch to a review/approval process for any and all new posts to our forums and articles. Our community team would have to approve every single news comment, every new thread, and every new response before it went live and filter them for potentially infringing material. "

One goal is that it stunts online debate of all issues, including political issues. When you have a government as corrupted as ours, this is a big benefit. Corrupt incumbents want to stay in business, and they are all corrupt. Through their corruption, in fact, the average person in Congress has doubled their wealth in relation to the rest of the American population merely over the last 20 years. This demonstrates, in and of itself, profound corruption at a time where recent census data now shows 1/2 of Americans are poor of close to it.

G

GODSLAYER

The SOPA gives the bill power to shut down anyone in any country

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
SOPA is saying to the PEOPLE...

We SOPA, an organization where we have nothing to do and we're so bored with our lives
that we love to trip and mess with companies, other non government organizations, private
groups and private individuals in walks of life whom we think violates our so called "EGOTISTICAL
SELF-PROCLAIMED INTERNET LAW" and sue them just for our SELFISH CAUSE and at the
same time make our government recognize us and make profits by doing it over and over again"

-- Well, as far as censorship is concerned, perhaps these PEOPLE doesnt know the meaning of
FREEDOM and they want to implement a ONE-SIDE UNFAIR LAW where it only favors the FEW
and not for a greater GOOD of the many (Obviously).

In addition, these people perhaps are illitirate and want to implement (again) ONE-SIDE UNFAIR |
LAW in the wrong place where it doesnt need to be implemented.

-- It is like you're driving in a car and listening to an mp3 you play in your IPOD then suddenly
you were stoped by a private citizen then ask where to downloaded your MP3 you're currently
listening to then disturbs and forced you to come in front of a federal judge and accusing you
of music piracy!

If you're on your way to work then this happens to you what would you do?...
that private CITIZEN is like the SOPA!.. Likes to mess with things that are functioning properly.

If some SOPA peeps are reading this, one thing i can say to you...
BULLSHIT WILL GET YOU TO THE TOP, BUT IT WONT KEEP YOU LONG THERE..
AND YOU ARE SHITTING WHERE YOU EAT!

G

Computer-illiterate congressman and senators should not be voting on something they don't understand. This bill has gotten so far because of the brainwashing done by the big media publishing companies to persuade our government officials to vote on crap like this. They'll do anything for the benefit of themselves, even if it completely destroys innovation and grinds new web development to a halt.

G

This is probably the greatest modern threat to free speech... Not to mention do these people understand what it would do to our struggling economy to limit the internet like this?!? You would see a brand new dotcom burst again on a massive scale...

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Follow the link at the end of the article. The EFF provides a form letter that you can attach your signature to and automatically send to the representatives for your area.

It is so easy to do that not even laziness is a good excuse for not speaking up about this!

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Don't think the politicians are doing this because they are stupid. They know exactly what they are doing. There is a very very very steady trend that is easy to see of them stripping away our rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.