Scheduled task passwords do not change when the domain pas..

mark

Ok heres the scenario. One of my users has a scheduled task that open up
spreadsheets every morning. This works fine apart from then his domain
password needs changing (every 30 days). Once he has changed the domain
password he needs to edit the properties of the scheduled task and change the
password manually.

I have also re-created this problem on another pc running a different
scheduled task

Windows XP sp1
AD Domain (2003)

Any one have any ideas?

Cheers

Mark wrote:
> Ok heres the scenario. One of my users has a scheduled task that
> open up spreadsheets every morning. This works fine apart from then
> his domain password needs changing (every 30 days). Once he has
> changed the domain password he needs to edit the properties of the
> scheduled task and change the password manually.
>
> I have also re-created this problem on another pc running a different
> scheduled task
>
> Windows XP sp1
> AD Domain (2003)
>
> Any one have any ideas?

I await an answer with you, but I would guess this is "by design". You
changed the password.. Why should Windows (why WOULD Windows) go through
all the places you have typed that password in the past and change it for
you?

--
<- Shenan ->

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Ok heres the scenario. One of my users has a scheduled task that open up
| spreadsheets every morning. This works fine apart from then his domain
| password needs changing (every 30 days). Once he has changed the domain
| password he needs to edit the properties of the scheduled task and change
the
| password manually.
|
| I have also re-created this problem on another pc running a different
| scheduled task
|
| Windows XP sp1
| AD Domain (2003)
|
| Any one have any ideas?
|
| Cheers

Local passwords and network passwords have nothing to do with one another.

mark

I do understand the differences between local logons and Domain logons,
however these jobs are created using the domain accounts and not a local one.

I don't ever recall having this problem with 2000 - possibly did just don't
recall it being a problem?

"Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:

> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Ok heres the scenario. One of my users has a scheduled task that open up
> | spreadsheets every morning. This works fine apart from then his domain
> | password needs changing (every 30 days). Once he has changed the domain
> | password he needs to edit the properties of the scheduled task and change
> the
> | password manually.
> |
> | I have also re-created this problem on another pc running a different
> | scheduled task
> |
> | Windows XP sp1
> | AD Domain (2003)
> |
> | Any one have any ideas?
> |
> | Cheers
>
> Local passwords and network passwords have nothing to do with one another.

By default, Windows XP requires a password for a scheduled task. However,
you may disable this with the following registry change:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Lsa

limitblankpassworduse
Change the value in the Value Data box from 1 to 0

Then, check the "Run only if logged on" box in the scheduled task.

The task will now continue to run when the user periodically changes their
domain password without the need to change the scheduled task password.

Let us know if that gets you what you need.

In article <O0KPW7H3EHA.2568@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote:

|"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|| Ok heres the scenario. One of my users has a scheduled task that open up
|| spreadsheets every morning. This works fine apart from then his domain
|| password needs changing (every 30 days). Once he has changed the domain
|| password he needs to edit the properties of the scheduled task and change
|the
|| password manually.
|| I have also re-created this problem on another pc running a different
|| scheduled task
|| Windows XP sp1
|| AD Domain (2003)
|| Any one have any ideas?
|| Cheers
|
|Local passwords and network passwords have nothing to do with one another.

On Windows9x, this may be true - but on WinXP when you are in a domain, you
usually log on locally to Windows using your domain credentials.
It appears that the scheduled task is being set up to run under the user's
domain credentials.
The question that I would ask is why is a scheduled task being used to open up
spreadsheets? This makes little sense unless it is being done when the user
is logging on. If this is the case, perhaps a logon script would be a better
way to do this? Or just put whatever the task does into the user's Start
Menu\Programs\Startup folder? There are ways to make it only execute once per
day, if that is what is desired.

mark

Thank you very much Curt that worked fine - Just the sort of answer I was
looking for

"Curt B" wrote:

> By default, Windows XP requires a password for a scheduled task. However,
> you may disable this with the following registry change:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Lsa
>
> limitblankpassworduse
> Change the value in the Value Data box from 1 to 0
>
> Then, check the "Run only if logged on" box in the scheduled task.
>
> The task will now continue to run when the user periodically changes their
> domain password without the need to change the scheduled task password.
>
> Let us know if that gets you what you need.
>
> "Mark" wrote:
>
> > Ok heres the scenario. One of my users has a scheduled task that open up
> > spreadsheets every morning. This works fine apart from then his domain
> > password needs changing (every 30 days). Once he has changed the domain
> > password he needs to edit the properties of the scheduled task and change the
> > password manually.
> >
> > I have also re-created this problem on another pc running a different
> > scheduled task
> >
> > Windows XP sp1
> > AD Domain (2003)
> >
> > Any one have any ideas?
> >
> > Cheers

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

"Mark" wrote:

> Thank you very much Curt that worked fine - Just the sort of answer I was
> looking for
>
> "Curt B" wrote:
>
> > By default, Windows XP requires a password for a scheduled task. However,
> > you may disable this with the following registry change:
> >
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Lsa
> >
> > limitblankpassworduse
> > Change the value in the Value Data box from 1 to 0
> >
> > Then, check the "Run only if logged on" box in the scheduled task.
> >
> > The task will now continue to run when the user periodically changes their
> > domain password without the need to change the scheduled task password.
> >
> > Let us know if that gets you what you need.
> >
> > "Mark" wrote:
> >
> > > Ok heres the scenario. One of my users has a scheduled task that open up
> > > spreadsheets every morning. This works fine apart from then his domain
> > > password needs changing (every 30 days). Once he has changed the domain
> > > password he needs to edit the properties of the scheduled task and change the
> > > password manually.
> > >
> > > I have also re-created this problem on another pc running a different
> > > scheduled task
> > >
> > > Windows XP sp1
> > > AD Domain (2003)
> > >
> > > Any one have any ideas?
> > >
> > > Cheers

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon =
only
Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local =
Policies\Security Options

Description
Determines whether remote interactive logons by network services such as =
Terminal Services, Telnet, and FTP are allowed for local accounts that =
have blank passwords. If this setting is enabled, a local account must =
have a nonblank password to be used to perform an interactive logon from =
a remote client.

Default: Enabled

Notes

a.. This setting does not affect interactive logons that are performed =
physically at the console.=20
b.. This setting does not affect logons that use domain accounts.=20
c.. It is possible for applications that use remote interactive logons =
to bypass this setting.=20
For more information, see:

a.. Security Configuration Manager Tools

http://www.uscricket.com