Question Screen flashes black, followed by a game crash & Chrome freezing, as well as all apps displaying wrong ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChapyYxx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2014
Okay this is extremely weird and I have no clue how to even start trouble shooting it. I have an RTX 2080, with a 1440p 144hz display. For the past few weeks, during game play, while also watching content on my second monitor (YouTube), my screen will randomly flash black for just a moment, as if the display was disconnected and reconnected, and my game crashes (some of them can recover but most don't). Along with this, all apps I had open (steam, discord, etc...) will be completely blank, like in Steam for instance, I can see the top bar, with Store, Library tabs etc, but there will be no content under any of them, just a blank screen. I have to restart the app completely to get it to display again. Maybe the weirdest part is that Chrome does stay open, but completely freezes.

Even the Windows icons do not react when I mouse over them, though I can still close it. I then have to go into task manager and end the chrome process to be able to relaunch and pick up on my video. It's worth noting that I play all my games in borderless fullscreen, and when the black screen happens it kind of reminds me of alt + tabbing out of some wonky fullscreen games, if that makes any sense. The black flash does also carry over to my second monitor, I believe, but I haven't paid too much attention so I'll double check and edit this next time it happens.

I don't know how to diagnose this problem, whether it's my card, display, software, or even a power supply problem, though I figured if it was a psu problem I'd probably just be sent into a reboot, right? I have done a clean install of Nvidia drivers, but that hasn't helped. Any help with diagnosing this problem would be appreciated. Thanks. If you need any more information or something explained better please just ask.

Edit: To add to this, the videos in this post are very similar to what happens to me, though mine usually happens randomly when watching a video AND gaming, usually 30 + mins into a session.

Last edited:
Okay this is extremely weird and I have no clue how to even start trouble shooting it. I have an RTX 2080, with a 1440p 144hz display. For the past few weeks, during game play, while also watching content on my second monitor (YouTube), my screen will randomly flash black for just a moment, as if the display was disconnected and reconnected, and my game crashes (some of them can recover but most don't). Along with this, all apps I had open (steam, discord, etc...) will be completely blank, like in Steam for instance, I can see the top bar, with Store, Library tabs etc, but there will be no content under any of them, just a blank screen. I have to restart the app completely to get it to display again. Maybe the weirdest part is that Chrome does stay open, but completely freezes. Even the Windows icons do not react when I mouse over them, though I can still close it. I then have to go into task manager and end the chrome process to be able to relaunch and pick up on my video. It's worth noting that I play all my games in borderless fullscreen, and when the black screen happens it kind of reminds me of alt + tabbing out of some wonky fullscreen games, if that makes any sense. The black flash does also carry over to my second monitor, I believe, but I haven't paid too much attention so I'll double check and edit this next time it happens.

I don't know how to diagnose this problem, whether it's my card, display, software, or even a power supply problem, though I figured if it was a psu problem I'd probably just be sent into a reboot, right? I have done a clean install of Nvidia drivers, but that hasn't helped. Any help with diagnosing this problem would be appreciated. Thanks. If you need any more information or something explained better please just ask.
a list of all your specs (in detail) would be a good start :)

Also, my recommendation before going further would be to reinstall windows

ChapyYxx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2014
a list of all your specs (in detail) would be a good start :)

Also, my recommendation before going further would be to reinstall windows
Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700 cpu
ASUS ROG Strix rtx 2080 gpu
16gb tridentz rgb ram @3200mhz
Asus b550-A mobo
Corsair h100i platinum AIO
EVGA SuperNova G2 650w 80+ Gold modular psu (had since 2016 so it's the oldest part in this build besides my ssd, wondering if it's causing issues?)
WD_Black SN750 1TB nvme ssd (my newest drive, has my windows install)
Samsung 850 Evo 500gb ssd
2tb hdd for mass storage

I'm hesitant to reinstall windows at this point because this install is still pretty new (Installed in May), and I don't want to wipe this drive and start fresh again, but if that's what it comes down to I'd be fine doing it.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700 cpu
ASUS ROG Strix rtx 2080 gpu
16gb tridentz rgb ram @3200mhz
Asus b550-A mobo
Corsair h100i platinum AIO
EVGA SuperNova G2 650w 80+ Gold modular psu (had since 2016 so it's the oldest part in this build besides my ssd, wondering if it's causing issues?)
WD_Black SN750 1TB nvme ssd (my newest drive, has my windows install)
Samsung 850 Evo 500gb ssd
2tb hdd for mass storage

I'm hesitant to reinstall windows at this point because this install is still pretty new (Installed in May), and I don't want to wipe this drive and start fresh again, but if that's what it comes down to I'd be fine doing it.
The reason i ask, is because it's much faster and easier to just reinstall your windows then to dig around/troubleshoot your install

Granted, this may or may not help, but it eliminates a whole bunch of possibilites

if the issue persists after a fresh win install, we will know that is not software/windows related

then we can go from there

but, you can cheat :)

get a spare ssd/hdd, attach it as the sole drive and do a fresh wininstall on it: same results

Status
Not open for further replies.