[SOLVED] Screen Goes Black and System Freezes (Randomly)

kaushik.mac

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Hi!
So my PC was facing issues from some time but they were rare. Like while playing a game (mainly PUBG) or working on Photoshop, it used to go BSoD. But this was rare.

After about a month or so the PC stopped turning on. I mean it did get power but used turn off after a couple of seconds after being turned on. But that too got corrected after I changed the cabinet (turned out to be a bad power switch).

Suddenly after a couple of weeks only the PC & GPU fans were turning on and Motherboard was lighting up. Just to check I switched from VGA cable to HDMI and then PC was booting up and going into Startup, but used to freeze with a black screen right after boot.

I did a clean install of Win 10 1909 and got everything to start. But as soon as I started updating Windows and Radeon drivers (20.4.1) again PC freezes with a black screen. I rolled back to Win 10 1607 and installed Old Radeon Drivers (19.10.1) from their official website but the same issue again. I even tried it with Win 8.1 and really old Radeon drivers (Some 2016 drivers) but no help.

This Freeze with Black Screen only happens when I install Drivers or Update Windows and now sometimes even Randomly.

I have no clue as to what is going on. I checked a few threads and lot of people have faced Driver issues but I am suspecting that maybe my Graphic Card is at its end, I can't tell for sure.

The MB, RAM, PSU are all new (like five or so months). I did a Memory Test for RAM with the Memory Diagnostics Tool in Windows. I even checked the PSU for correct Voltages with a multimeter and everything is fine.

Please help, this thing is driving me nuts.

Hardware Specs
MB : Gigabyte Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming
Processor : Ryzen 5 2600
GPU : Radeon R9 270x
RAM : Corsair DDR4 8GB Vengeance
PSU : Gigabyte B700H
HDD : 2x 500GB, 1x 2TB

Solution
Well ending the post, as I feared, it was my GPU which went bad. I bought a new one, went for Nvidia this time and everything is fine.
Sad part is I don't know why my GPU died, wasn't showing any artifacts or anything, maybe just old. :(
Anyway solves now!
Sep 21, 2018
I'm also having this exact same issue with the newest build on Windows on an R9 290. When I try to boot into Windows it just turns black, or half-way through the installation it turns black. Might be an issue with latest Adrenaline Drivers or Windows itself. EDIT: Now that I think about it, this issue only started happening after I plugged in the ethernet cable, lemme try install windows without it and see what happens.
EDIT2: Works flawlessly with a fresh install of Windows without ethernet, might just be a driver issue automatically downloading although could be different.

Last edited:

kaushik.mac

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
I'm also having this exact same issue with the newest build on Windows on an R9 290. When I try to boot into Windows it just turns black, or half-way through the installation it turns black. Might be an issue with latest Adrenaline Drivers or Windows itself. EDIT: Now that I think about it, this issue only started happening after I plugged in the ethernet cable, lemme try install windows without it and see what happens.
EDIT2: Works flawlessly with a fresh install of Windows without ethernet, might just be a driver issue automatically downloading although could be different.

Okay so I tried without the ethernet cable, and yeah, it did turn on, but nope didn't fix it for me. When I went on to install the driver for Radeon, poof, Black Freeze! :(

Sep 21, 2018
Okay so I tried without the ethernet cable, and yeah, it did turn on, but nope didn't fix it for me. When I went on to install the driver for Radeon, poof, Black Freeze! :(
Did you plug in the Ethernet afterwards and then try to go onto the internet to install the drivers? If so, try putting the drivers onto a USB stick and then install them, then plug ethernet back it.

kaushik.mac

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Nope still no good. Now I am thinking maybe my GPU is going dead.
Will try with Win8. 1 and some old drivers without the Ethernet. Let's see.
I'm not able to detect the actual problem.

kaushik.mac

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Well ending the post, as I feared, it was my GPU which went bad. I bought a new one, went for Nvidia this time and everything is fine.
Sad part is I don't know why my GPU died, wasn't showing any artifacts or anything, maybe just old. :(
Anyway solves now!

Solution