[SOLVED] Screen randomly freezes when playing games, requires hard reset. Why could this be happening?

Viper33

Commendable
Dec 29, 2020
So I've had this issue for a while now where I would start playing a game and out of nowhere the screen freezes (sometimes it takes 2 minutes and sometimes I can play several hours) and I can't do anything except hard reset my pc. The temperature of the GPU goes up to 81C max. I'll provide all the details of my PC I just have to find where I wrote them down. My PC is 2 years old and this issue wasn't happening when I got it but now it's very frequent. Also the sound still countinues for a short amount of time but it sounds very robotic and distorted then it completely goes away. As I said I will provide the details of my PC but right now I'm thinking maybe it's the PSU or the motherboard. Any suggestions for what I should do or try to replace first? Also where can I find information or logs about these freezes that the PC might have recorded?

Solution
When I play games where the GPU usage is low everything is fine. It only happens when it's at a high load as you said, but it doesn't have to be a long time, sometimes it takes 20 minutes and sometimes I can go a few hours. The best thing I can do is to replace the PSU and see if that fixes it. Do you have any suggestions on what PSU to buy?
Since I don't know your budget and don't know where you shop, I'd suggest you go to this link as they have way better knowledge of PSUs than I do.

Viper33

Commendable
Dec 29, 2020
Here are my specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z370-HD3
CPU: I7-7800K
Cooling: Deepcool Frostwin V2.0
GPU: Inno3D iChill GeForce GTX 1080 X3 Ti 11GB GDDR5X
PSU: FSP 700W HYPER K 700
RAM: 16 gb
SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 250GB
HDD: TOSHIBA 3TB 64MB
Case: Deepcool Dukase V2

The CPU temp is fine. Another problem occured yesterday, so I was playing when all of the sudden the monitor froze, turned off and then the PC restarted itself. That obviously has to do something with the power being cut off somehow, nothing is overheating so I don't really know what caused this. I'm still thinking it's the PSU but it may also be a cable that is not connected or working properly?

akimikage

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah, sounds like a PSU problem. Have you tried playing a game for long hours but the GPU(which sucks power the most) usage is low. Like, let's say, pixel graphics games. Coz it sounds like the problem only occurs when your GPU is at high load for a long time which means it draws high power.

Viper33

Commendable
Dec 29, 2020
When I play games where the GPU usage is low everything is fine. It only happens when it's at a high load as you said, but it doesn't have to be a long time, sometimes it takes 20 minutes and sometimes I can go a few hours. The best thing I can do is to replace the PSU and see if that fixes it. Do you have any suggestions on what PSU to buy?

akimikage

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Since I don't know your budget and don't know where you shop, I'd suggest you go to this link as they have way better knowledge of PSUs than I do.

Solution

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Yeah, sounds like a PSU problem. Have you tried playing a game for long hours but the GPU(which sucks power the most) usage is low. Like, let's say, pixel graphics games. Coz it sounds like the problem only occurs when your GPU is at high load for a long time which means it draws high power.
I agree with this, the graphics card might be processing the most when playing online