[SOLVED] Screen Refresh Rate Overclocking

Solution
I see what you did. And even better results are possible with CRU utility. Where it is possible, obviously.

Unfortunately you see what you wish to see. Signal processor in monitor will not work faster - it simply is not supposed to pass through more data than expected by manufacturer. In reality there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. Fallback to same 1920x1080@60 Hz resolution/refresh rate specified as upper limit for monitor. It does not matter what you see in configuration dialog at same time.
  2. Switching to resolution where asked refresh rate works. Like falling down to 1280x1024@75Hz with grainy stretched image on screen. Or switching to 1920x1080@30 Hz. Depends from how particular monitor can process that.
  3. No picture at...
You can't run a display with larger refresh rate than specified. It does not work like that. In best case you will get blurry picture... or a part of original picture. But most likely it will end with black screen until you will return back to specified refresh rate.

I mean how can i know it's working fine ? and 75 hz is safe ? or i should go for 70 ?

Like I said above - you will get distorted something. Or most likely - nothing.

Feb 4, 2021
You can't run a display with larger refresh rate than specified. It does not work like that. In best case you will get blurry picture... or a part of original picture. But most likely it will end with black screen until you will return back to specified refresh rate.

I heard that i can overclock it through nvidia control panel ( making custom res )

Feb 4, 2021
Only if your display does support these custom modes. Check manual about that. However it is not possible to have 75 Hz refresh rate on panel rated for 60 Hz. Even if you manage to get display circuit work faster (I'm curious, how), panel refresh speed is hard stop here.

Actually it can support this , i tested this custom res ( went to 70 hz ) and everything was fine , but when i went to 75 colors started to feel darker , i don't know , i just want more fps in esports it will help if i could get above 70 but i think it's not possible ! feeling like to go back to 60 hz to be in safe spot
whats your opinion ?

Such miracles doesn't happen. If panel is rated for 60 Hz, it will stay like that. Unless 60 Hz is largest refresh rate for panel native resolution (1920x1080 for your monitor). Well, you forced me to find your monitor manual. What Samsung stated in page 42, vertical frequency for this monitor is 56-75 Hz. Then you are partially correct. But directly below in "Standard Signal Mode Table" we see that 75 Hz refresh rate works only for resolutions up to 1280x1024. Which does not surprise - particular model line is supposed to be office desk monitors where refresh rate correlate with AC frequency to avoid stroboscopic interference from older/cheaper ceiling bulbs. No need to go beyond that from economical standpoint and some enthusiasts doesn't matter.

In short - for your monitor in native 1920x1080 resolution 60 Hz is a limit. 75 Hz is possible in lower resolutions, but I doubt that you will like the picture then.

Feb 4, 2021
I Understand now thanks man !
one last question , how did i manage to get 70 hz in nvidia control panel and everything seems to be working fine on 1980*1080 ?

Screenshot from what i did
2vx1rO6.png

I see what you did. And even better results are possible with CRU utility. Where it is possible, obviously.

Unfortunately you see what you wish to see. Signal processor in monitor will not work faster - it simply is not supposed to pass through more data than expected by manufacturer. In reality there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. Fallback to same 1920x1080@60 Hz resolution/refresh rate specified as upper limit for monitor. It does not matter what you see in configuration dialog at same time.
  2. Switching to resolution where asked refresh rate works. Like falling down to 1280x1024@75Hz with grainy stretched image on screen. Or switching to 1920x1080@30 Hz. Depends from how particular monitor can process that.
  3. No picture at all with blank screen and optional "No signal" message.

Reactions: basha gone wild
Solution
Feb 4, 2021

3. No picture at all with blank screen and optional "No signal" message.

I Understand now , thanks for your help ! <3