jason612

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
I just built a computer and it has xfx HD 7870, i5, windows 7 64bit.
I been getting alot of screen tearing in games like WoW, GW2, and on the menu screen of dota 2. like this:
http://i.imgur.com/hlW4u.jpg
It doesnt look bad in this screen shot but those shadow lines flicker throughout the screen and is very distracting.
I have the settings set to recommended settings with vsync on. All my drivers are up to date including on my monitor. Is this a gpu issue? I really dont want to rma it but I have no idea what is wrong.
I have the monitor set to 60hz as well as on my CCC and in game.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Run fraps during gameplay to see is vsync is actually working.

Also always try and activate vsync in game first, if not possible try in CCC, if that doesn't work well than you can edit the games config file but that can be semi complex.

jason612

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Not sure how to tell if vsync is working but fraps as well as the fps in wow matches 60fps. I tried activating it in CCC but it doesnt seem to allow me to apply the change...

McLizardman4

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

I think it is software related as well. I think that the new AMD drivers for the 7000 series are designed only to be used with digital input, such as dvi. I did some research and it looks like using a DVI instead VGA plug and an adapter fixes the problem, but I can't verify this for myself as I have no way to test it.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Bystander is right, that's not screen tearing. I would completely uninstall Catalyst, download the new Catalyst 12.11 and install those. World of Warcraft has well documented issues with 78xx's that are fixed with the new drivers.

jason612

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

Hmm you may be right because I am using a VGA plug with an adapter. My other monitor is hooked up via HDMI but I use the VGA one as my main. Ill update catalyst, recheck and let you guys know. I have no money for a new monitor so hope this works.

McLizardman4

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

Go ahead and try that, and let me know. I am using the CCC version 12.10, so I could update to the beta drivers if that works for you.

Post on the WoW boards, they may have seen the problem before. It is also possible a memory issue. These types of problems are either software, driver or hardware issues. You've looked at the driver issue, you can check WoW forums to find out if it's a software issue, and hopefully it's not a hardware issue, as those are tough to track down.

It could be, it's either hardware or software. You might want to check out the WoW forums to see if others are having the issue before you settle on RMA. Do other games have this issue?

jason612

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

Yea I get it REALLY bad in GW2 and on menu screen of dota 2. It looks identical to the issue shown in the video.

If it's not drivers, as you ruled that out, and it's happening on multiple games, that takes out the software problems, that leaves DX drivers, or something with the hardware.

Do you have an old/spare video card you could test? It would suck to RMA the card and still have the issue.

jason612

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

Yeah thats what im afraid of :/
I dont have another card to test, just built this pc because my old one was really old haha.

Ok well from the video that is nothing to do with vsync.

lack of vsync does this
vsync.jpg

Very much looks like a bad card(or very unlikely bad ram, but with bad ram I am sure your system would be crashing all the time).

jason612

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

Tried it with my monitor on hdmi, doesnt work. RMA'd the card and it should be in tomorrow so ill update if its still occuring or if it was just a bad card.