Question Screens go black, fans spin loudly, can still hear game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2023
I've seen some other threads about this with a range of nvidia cards, but I was wondering if someone had a solution already.

When I put my PC under higher loads, my screens go black, all my fans start spinning at full speed and I have to restart my PC.

I can still hear both my game and friends over Discord, I can even keep controlling my Elden Ring character for example, but I have no way (within my capabilities) to get a picture showing again without restarting my entire PC.

I have cleared all temp files, cache and old installations of the divers. Reinstalled them to no avail, if anything my screen seems to go black even faster now.

My setup:
i9 9980HK (modded for desktop use)
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio
16 GB Trident Z 3600mhz
ASUS ROG Strix z370 ATX board

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
What PSU is in the system?
What OS?

Are you monitoring temps?

And "i9 9980HK (modded for desktop use) " , please give more details. Who did the mod and where was the adapter made or sourced?
Are you sure that your cooling solution is properly installed and especially in the case that (to my knowledge) these adaptions are open die?

Jan 22, 2023
My bad, shouldve explained more in the post.

PSU is a Gigabyte G750H 80+ Gold
OS is windows 11 on latest update

Temps look fine, CPU has always worked. (Yes it's open die) Mod was done by previous owner who overclocked it to 5.1ghz for me. I've got it under an NZXT 280mm watercooler.
GPU is 100% stock.

What PSU is in the system?
What OS?

Are you monitoring temps?

And "i9 9980HK (modded for desktop use) " , please give more details. Who did the mod and where was the adapter made or sourced?
Are you sure that your cooling solution is properly installed and especially in the case that (to my knowledge) these adaptions are open die?

Jan 22, 2023
I'm also not 100% sure where the previous owner got the CPU/adapter from, but probably a Chinese retailer. But I wouldnt mind the CPU too much, it's always been incredibly stable. I've had more issues with stock desktop CPUs

My bad, shouldve explained more in the post.

PSU is a Gigabyte G750H 80+ Gold
OS is windows 11 on latest update

Temps look fine, CPU has always worked. (Yes it's open die) Mod was done by previous owner who overclocked it to 5.1ghz for me. I've got it under an NZXT 280mm watercooler.
GPU is 100% stock.

Jan 22, 2023
Sorry for the late reply. Event Viewer doesn't show anything. And yes, it does happen with any game, but the amount of load needed for the crash to occur is seemingly completely random, although it does need to be higher than whatever stress Chrome puts my PC under. I was playing Skyrim I believe and both my CPU and GPU were around 50 C when I crashed. Load was around 40% on both as well. So I really do not know what it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.