Question Seagate Backup Plus Slim: Slow under Snapshot?

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I have backed up my PC several times with the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2T using the setting Snapshot. I use the Snapshot setting because I thought it would be the fastest in that it would add the newly entered PC's files/folders to the ones that were already saved...and not just re-copy everything However, it takes the Seagate many hours (at least 4-6 hours) to accomplish its task. Now, to be honest, I haven't backed up in probably at least 6 months and most of my new files/folders are related to saving JPGs...this could be the reason for the slowness? Thanks.

EDIT: HP TE01-1020, latest Windows 11

Generally speaking.....backup software provided by drive manufacturers is not the best tool for the job.

I know nothing at all about Seagate's backup software. It may be fabulous. And it may be that you have it configured incorrectly.

With any decent backup software, you can configure it to backup ONLY new or modified files.

I do this a couple of times daily.....about 100,000 files. Of which about 60,000 are jpegs.

Takes about 2 minutes to an internal drive. It would take longer to an external, but not 4 or 6 hours.

Some external drives are just slow. You can't get around that.

If you haven't backed up in a long time, then obviously a higher percentage of your total jpegs will be new or modified. It should take less time if you backed up more frequently....if you have your software configured properly.