Question Seagate Barracuda or Western Digital Blue?

Jul 19, 2019
I want to get a 2TB hard drive for storage for my upcoming build. At first, I was more than willing to go for Seagate's Barracuda over Western Digital's Blue. However, after watching some videos and hearing some rumors about Seagate's lack of reliability, I started to change my mind. In terms of performance and speeds, the Barracuda is definitely better. However, my priority is stability, reliability, lifetime, and the ability to recover the data within the HDD after it dies. A lot of people in the comments section of a YouTube video have been saying that Barracudas die very quickly and are almost impossible to recover data from due to their low quality parts or something like that. I'm sorta confused right now. Which one should I go for? Should I go for the WD blue? Is it actually more stable, reliable, and easy to recover data from? Or should I go for the Barracuda since it's more popular? What do you guys think?

P.S: I want a 2TB drive, if that matters.

I've been dealing with Seagate and Western Digital drives for many years.
I think they are both generally decent manufacturers especially when compared to some others.
Overall.....I have had more Western Digital drives fail than Seagate drives.
If I have a choice.....I'd go with Seagate.

Jul 19, 2019
WD has lower failure rates but even with higher end models there's always the chance of something happening. The most important thing to do is to utilize backups for any important files.
Well, which is easier to recover, then? All HDDs die at one point, but I want to know which one is more easily recoverable...

I've had one WD drive fail, no Seagate failures so far.
I currently have a 3tb barracuda in my pc which has been working well for 3 years.
And a 7 year old 1tb Barracuda in a secondary pc (much less used) which also works completely fine.

If you're storing a lot of important data then get a second disk for backups as suggest above.

DigDeep

Distinguished
May 11, 2014
WD Blue.

I have new Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb 256mb cache and while benchmarks are great, real world scenario sucks, copying drops to crawling 20MBs. I would be hapier if I bought 5400rpm WD Blue, I just know they are better, because even my old 512gb WD Green 5400rpm is faster than 2tb 7200rpm 256mb cache Seagate Barracuda. Everyone is looking at benchmarks, but people should look at copying file performance. I dont know what to do with this drive, I wanted to claim warranty, but I think disk would perform the same, I made a mistake and should have bought 2tb WD Blue EZRZ, but on paper Seagate looks better, thas why I went with Seagate.