[SOLVED] Seagate HDD beeps then quits

Seif Samir

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2014
Hello, I hope you all doing alright.

I'm having an issue with my internal Seagate HDD that I bought less than two months ago, it was working completely fine no weird noises or clicks or even slow or simply any signs of a dying hard drive.
Last time I shut off my PC everything was normal, yesterday I was turning on my PC and I started hearing a weird beeping sound that goes on and off and the PC is taking very long time to load up even tho windows is running on my SSD and I never had this issue before. When windows loaded up, the HDD was not there and the beeping sound quits .

I tried checking the connections, disconnecting the cables and reconnecting them, I made sue that the beeping sound is coming from the HDD. I tried to completely disconnect the HDD and the PC loaded quite fast without taking very long time as it is when the HDD is connected.

Now, is the issue clearly coming from my HDD? Do I just buy a new one? or is there any other step that I can try to be more sure?

Solution

I'm having an issue with my internal Seagate HDD that I bought less than two months ago, it was working completely fine no weird noises or clicks or even slow or simply any signs of a dying hard drive.
Last time I shut off my PC everything was normal, yesterday I was turning on my PC and I started hearing a weird beeping sound that goes on and off and the PC is taking very long time to load up even tho windows is running on my SSD and I never had this issue before. When windows loaded up, the HDD was not there and the beeping sound quits .

I tried checking the connections, disconnecting the cables and reconnecting them, I made sue that the beeping sound is coming from the HDD. I tried to...

Seif Samir

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2014
Windows is on an SSD.

I guess you cannot access the drive at all. What does it contain? Personal files only? Games? Do you have any backups of whatever is on it?

I have never heard of an HDD making a noise described as beeps.
No I'm not able to access the drive at all. This is how it shows up in task manager for example
View: https://imgur.com/ckY8e1V

It's a beep/clicking sound

It contains only videogames nothing personal, I don't care about the stored data but about the drive itself and whether the issue is coming from it or something else

Seif Samir

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2014
In your first post you said "I made sue that the beeping sound is coming from the HDD."

Isn't that true?

Clicking would make sense. Beeping would not.
Yes, it was beeping/clicking sort of sound.
Anyway, while I was recording for you the sound, I tried to swap the SATA port in my motherboard and gave it a try, it worked! I tried this yesterday but I don't know what changed.
I tried swapping it back to the previous SATA port it was plugged in, it also worked.

What could have possibly caused this? and what tests can I run to make sure that my HDD is not faulty?

Thank you

I tried checking the connections, disconnecting the cables and reconnecting them, I made sue that the beeping sound is coming from the HDD. I tried to completely disconnect the HDD and the PC loaded quite fast without taking very long time as it is when the HDD is connected.

Now, is the issue clearly coming from my HDD? Do I just buy a new one? or is there any other step that I can try to be more sure?
You could try a different power and data cable.
Try a different sata port on the mobo.
Try connecting the hdd via usb.

If this hdd is only a few months old don't buy a new one contact seagate for a warranty replacement.

Solution
You could run Crystal Disk Info to get some quick idea of overall health.

You could go to Seagate web site and find their own tool that you could use to do a full test of the drive.

There are also several benchmark tools that will test speed. Crystal Disk Mark is a good one.

But intermittent problems can drive you crazy.

I'd try to confirm if the issue is related to a port or cable, rather than the drive itself.

Seif Samir

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2014
You could try a different power and data cable.
Try a different sata port on the mobo.
Try connecting the hdd via usb.

If this hdd is only a few months old don't buy a new one contact seagate for a warranty replacement.
changing the sata port in motherboard actually resolved the issue, but i plugged it back in same port and it worked fine too.

Yes, it's still within the warranty period, but I heard a lot about how often seagate drives fail so i thought of getting a WD one

Seif Samir

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2014
You could run Crystal Disk Info to get some quick idea of overall health.

You could go to Seagate web site and find their own tool that you could use to do a full test of the drive.

There are also several benchmark tools that will test speed. Crystal Disk Mark is a good one.

But intermittent problems can drive you crazy.

I'd try to confirm if the issue is related to a port or cable, rather than the drive itself.

I ran a few tests and everything seemed to be okay and drive temp is also fine.

I'll give it a few days and see what happens.

prob the issue is coming from sata cable i'd say too.