Seagate, WD Cutting Back on Hard Drive Warranties

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stansboy1

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Is it me ?........Or does this coincidence of all manufacturers thinking alike just an illusion.

Well I guess when you live in a global corporatocricy you just touch your forelock and say "thank you" for any kick in the family jewels.

G

"The spokesman also denied that the warranty cuts were related to the Thailand floods."

Yeah, it must be a coincidence...

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]Well.. looks like I'm not buying any more hard drives.. Good bye slow harddrives.. Welcome SSDs.[/citation]
There are people out there building their own systems who actually opt to NOT get at least a 60GB SSD as their system drive? Seriously, of all the upgrades and cash I've ever thrown into my PC, nothing (!) gave the type of real-world, noticeable difference in everyday computer use as my SSD! Though, anyone also considering buying/using an SSD for data storage is somewhat either missing the point, or has absolutely zero cash-flow considerations.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
The first step in pushing us toward SSD drives. They will now start selling crap platter drives as they ramp up their SSD drive manufacturing.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
This will kill their compagny and give more space for compagny like intel,ocz kingston with ssd to make larger ssd drive at low price so NO one is going to buy hard drive, so yeah if i had money i would sell wd, seagate share and buy ocz,intel,kingston instead.

G

My particular view on guarantees/warranties, from the movie Tommy Boy:

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

Ted Nelson, Customer: What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

What a blatant example of weasel-speak. More of "what's the least amount of time our products need to last so people won't give up on them, but will just buy another...and another...and another?"
It also shows how little they think consumers' data is worth. You can bet they wouldn't pull this BS on their enterprise drives. They may be twice the price or more, but if they last five times longer, it's money well spent.
So, one way or another, get used to spending more for hard drives.

[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Everybody who loves Intel and despises AMD should remember that. It is a perfect example what happens when there is no competition.First higher prices, then shorter warranty. I bet it will take ages before everything is restored to where it was before.[/citation]
What a flawed argument. In the HDD sector there is thriving competition, and yet due to a single natural disaster prices are way up. Intel has had a practical monopoly on the market for YEARS, and prices/warranty have stayed the same for a good long time.
I'm not saying that what you said was out-and-out wrong, but there are more variables than just supply/demand/competition. In the tech industry is does not take long for a giant like Intel to fall, and they have fallen before when they have let their guard down. AMD reigned supreme for a nice long stint with their $1000 consumer end CPUs. Intel does not want AMD, or one of the upstart ARM companies to provide any real competition, so they keep prices low so as to discourage anyone from entering the market. The second their prices go up there will be money/blood in the water, and anyone who has the ability to will be all over making CPUs.

Anywho, I would much rather have shorter warranties and companies getting back on their feet quicker, then to have these crazy prices forever and ever. As companies recover and compete for customers again the warranties will rise again.

G

"The Caviar Blue, the Caviar Green and the Caviar Black will be the only drives getting the swift kick in the warranties, reduced from three years down to just two"

"WD will continue to maintain five-year warranties on its premium desktop/notebook products, including the WD Caviar Black"

Proofread much? Didn't think so.

I do not think I would purchase a hard drive without at least a 3 year warranty. While it doesn't cover my data loss, at least I get a new/refurbed drive back. I have Seagate ES.2 drives and enjoy the idea that they will be replaced in a failure for 5 years. Especially since I have a RAID 0 and I can get an exact replacement. I have a Seagate Momentus XT in my PS3 and a 5 year warranty is great on that.

Funny that this happens right after the recent floods. Are we supposed to think their reliability is now less due to facility damage?

AM2A

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
So the floods increased the costs for certain parts, which in turn causes increased warranty expenses when drives are repaired/replaced. Additionally, due to lack of supply, these repairs/replacements would reduce the number of new units available for sale. They're getting hit on both ends, increased expenses and reduced revenues, due to the flooding...how would this not be a factor in the decision?

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Phew, I'm glad I have a Caviar Black! Still, this just seems like even more encouragement from the HD manufacturers to switch to SSDs. With current HD prices, if I were building a new PC now, instead of getting a WD Black drive, I'd get an SSD and use one of the older, slower HDs I have lying around for storage. They're just shooting themselves in the foot, making SSDs look more attractive by the day.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]tlmck[/nom]It must have been my two recent returns. First I bought a new 500gb Black that sounded like a buzz saw. Swapped it for a new Samsung 1tb F3 which was faster and very quiet. A week later Windows told me my 2 year and 8 month old Caviar Blue 320gb was failing. WD diag software told me it was really really failing. It was still withing the 3 year window, so I got a free replacement, although they did replace it with an SE refurbished model. But so far, it seems to be running well.I have been using WD for 20+ years and never had any trouble until now. I think future purchases will be Samsung.[/citation]
Unfortunately, Seagate bought Samsung's hard drive division.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]There are people out there building their own systems who actually opt to NOT get at least a 60GB SSD as their system drive? Seriously, of all the upgrades and cash I've ever thrown into my PC, nothing (!) gave the type of real-world, noticeable difference in everyday computer use as my SSD! Though, anyone also considering buying/using an SSD for data storage is somewhat either missing the point, or has absolutely zero cash-flow considerations.[/citation]

id use one to store massive amounts of small files and on a hdd, it can take 5 minutes to open folders.
if i had the cash, i would replace all hdds with ssd also, a bit more reliable than them.

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]What a flawed argument. In the HDD sector there is thriving competition, and yet due to a single natural disaster prices are way up. Intel has had a practical monopoly on the market for YEARS, and prices/warranty have stayed the same for a good long time. I'm not saying that what you said was out-and-out wrong, but there are more variables than just supply/demand/competition. In the tech industry is does not take long for a giant like Intel to fall, and they have fallen before when they have let their guard down. AMD reigned supreme for a nice long stint with their $1000 consumer end CPUs. Intel does not want AMD, or one of the upstart ARM companies to provide any real competition, so they keep prices low so as to discourage anyone from entering the market. The second their prices go up there will be money/blood in the water, and anyone who has the ability to will be all over making CPUs.Anywho, I would much rather have shorter warranties and companies getting back on their feet quicker, then to have these crazy prices forever and ever. As companies recover and compete for customers again the warranties will rise again.[/citation]

actually the cpu market is effectively unenterable for anyone new, the cost me design a chip that iw powerful enough is in the billion $ range, probably a few billion now, and even after than you have to soak up the losses for your first 2-3 chipsets all in all you are looking at a loss of about 10-20 billion before you have a chance to compete...

arm managed to enter it because they are less complicated cpus made for phones, and slowly crawled up to the point we are even considering them for an intel replacement, at least in server and low end laptop markets.

just thought i should mention that.

------------------

all that above said, i want a 4tb drive. and i will get one when it hits 200$, and i will buy it from whoever has the strongest warrenty.

i will buy my second 4tb backup when they hit the 100$ range, or when Christmas comes whichever happens first.

and from that moment on, i will be replacing my drives, and backup drives every time the warranty gives out with a bigger drive... it takes a while to eat up 1tb of space if you also use dvds to burn off the bigger files.

im also planning in useing thumb drives to get the smaller files not needed anymore off.

and in a few years (2-3 hdd sycles) when ssds hit the 1tb mark for 100$, ill replace all drives with those, probably to the point i can raid 5 them with a hdd.

hdds are going to die, the more i think of it the sooner it seams it could happen.
if everyone moved over to ssd, pooled collectively 10 billion, and just worked as hard as they could on getting to a 10-5nm process for memory (far less complex than a cpu, not sure how much of the physics stuff applies) we could get the tb range really fast, but god know no company can pool together resources for a common good.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
QUESTION
how would WD or Seagate Benefit from SSD drives gaining more popularity?
aren't the HDD manufactures completely unrelated to the majority of company's that are selling SSD drives right now, like Intel, Kingston, OCZ?

or do Seagate and WD think they will be able to suddenly jump into the SSD market and take over?

i think that if Seagate and WD wanted more business they should lower prices,,
i dont know how you all feel, but i would defiantly be willing to buy several 1tb drives right now for $50 ea. but i made the decision to not buy another hardrive because of the way prices are now. and because i am concerned about the quality of the drives to come out of Thailand now. i have a shelf full of old 40, 80, 120+gb drives,, il use those before i drop $120. on 500gb that was only about $40. before this nonsense.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]toddzio[/nom]I wonder how Samsung will react to this.[/citation]

I bet it involves not giving a rat's ass, since they sold off their HDD division to Seagate...

chaos133

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
The Caviar Blue, the Caviar Green and the Caviar Black will be the only drives getting the swift kick in the warranties, reduced from three years down to just two; both the Scorpio Black and the VelociRaptor will retain their five-year warranties.

"Even so, WD will continue to maintain five-year warranties on its premium desktop/notebook products, including the WD Caviar Black, WD Scorpio Black and WD VelociRaptor products."

So does the Caviar Black have only 2 years warranty now or 5 years?

Maybe a possible reason they are reducing warranties is because they are selling repaired drives from the floods? I don't know if they are doing this I'm just guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.