[SOLVED] SEASONIC M12II 520 BRONZE VS EVGA 500/600BR

Sep 25, 2020
Hi folks, I'm building my first pc and when it comes to PSU I don't want to mess it up since other components are not easy to get, I'm deciding in between a SEASONIC M12II 520 Bronze which I've seen quite a lot of reviews (mixed the majority) and for the EVGA 500/600BR too, I've heard some stories of EVGA PSU's burning all the other components and I don't want to be part of the club, which one y'all think is better?, I'll be looking forward for your opinions and experiences.

If others PSU's y'all think are better feel free to recommend please, I don't like to feel narrowed by options.

PD: My budget is no more than $65.

Solution
Yes, it "works" for that. It doesn't change the fact that there are a lot better, newer options out there, but you could certainly do a lot worse.
The M12II 520w is an older group regulated design, and normally we don't recommend that users buy power supplies built on this type of platform anymore, because there are much better designs out there these days. Unfortunately, in this case, it's still a better power supply than the EVGA BR series units, which are low end garbage. While the M12II lacks some protections found on a lot of newer platforms, at least it has all of the most important ones and has good build quality. IF these are the only two models available to you, then the M12II is easily the better option so long as you are not running an Intel 4th gen or newer platform, because group regulated power supplies are not "Haswell C-state compatible" unless you disable the C6 and C7 low power states in the BIOS to avoid problems.

There may be better options available to you even in your region, so don't be in too much of a hurry to pick one. Take your time, read the information at the following links and then make a decision once you are better informed.

RealHardTechX PSU capacity recommendations by graphics card model

This "tier list" might list some models not commonly found or addressed in my recommendations as well, so it might be useful when trying to find models in your region that are worth purchasing.

Sep 25, 2020
The M12II 520w is an older group regulated design, and normally we don't recommend that users buy power supplies built on this type of platform anymore, because there are much better designs out there these days. Unfortunately, in this case, it's still a better power supply than the EVGA BR series units, which are low end garbage. While the M12II lacks some protections found on a lot of newer platforms, at least it has all of the most important ones and has good build quality. IF these are the only two models available to you, then the M12II is easily the better option so long as you are not running an Intel 4th gen or newer platform, because group regulated power supplies are not "Haswell C-state compatible" unless you disable the C6 and C7 low power states in the BIOS to avoid problems.

There may be better options available to you even in your region, so don't be in too much of a hurry to pick one. Take your time, read the information at the following links and then make a decision once you are better informed.

RealHardTechX PSU capacity recommendations by graphics card model

This "tier list" might list some models not commonly found or addressed in my recommendations as well, so it might be useful when trying to find models in your region that are worth purchasing.

Thanks for the list even though I've seen some of those lists, however, is not for Intel the processor on build but AMD Ryzen 2-3rd gen, just in case even though I will be looking for more options, does the seasonic m12ii works for that cpu?, thanks so much for you answer.