[SOLVED] Second boot drive not appearing in BIOS unless the first is unlocked

jam500

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
I currently have one hdd with dual boot windows and Linux, and a second ssd running HiveOS. The problem is I cannot select the other drive once I've booted up on either one of them. If I have previously loaded up the Windows/Linux drive I cannot select the HiveOS drive from the BIOS boot selection unless I unplug the hdd with windows/linux on it and vice versa which makes it a pain to swap over to the other operating system.

I did have the ssd plugged in when I was installing windows, would it not be showing up because windows would have made some backup system files that would not allow it to be seen as its own OS boot drive? and would reinstalling windows/linux with the ssd for HiveOS disconnected allow it to show up on the boot menu after reformatting it?

Any help is appreciated :)

Solution
What do you mean by my hdd settings?
What order they are in on the boot order if you have them as uefi or legacy and so on, since returning the bios to default might change them and you need to put them back to be able to boot again.
This could also be the reason why a different bios doesn't boot for you, if they changed the default from the old MBR to the new uefi and your disks are configured for MBR it would bluescreen on boot.
If you can boot to any of the two drives at first boot then the setup on the disks is ok.
Note your hdd settings ,reset your bios to default settings, re configure your hdds and see if that helps.
If there are any bios updates you should consider doing that as well.

jam500

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
What do you mean by my hdd settings? and my bios is default atm because if I update it to any version other than default my pc bluescreens when loading windows. (I tried a fresh instal of windows both before and after a bios update, same result)

What do you mean by my hdd settings?
What order they are in on the boot order if you have them as uefi or legacy and so on, since returning the bios to default might change them and you need to put them back to be able to boot again.
This could also be the reason why a different bios doesn't boot for you, if they changed the default from the old MBR to the new uefi and your disks are configured for MBR it would bluescreen on boot.

Solution