FlippyTheHalfwit

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
I bought a cheap used monitor (ViewSonic VA926 to be specific) for school purposes, but when I try to connect it to my laptop the external monitor is blank.
Yes, :
  • Windows does detect it and it shows up in display settings.
  • It shows up in device manager as well.
  • I have all the drivers up to date.
  • I have tried restarting my laptop multiple times.
  • I've tried extending and duplicating the screen with no luck.
  • I've connected the second monitor to my main PC and it works just fine there.
  • I've checked if the cable connections are secure.
  • I've tried using a different HDMI cable.
  • I've tried troubleshooting it with no luck.
The only thing I suspect that could be faulty is the dvi to hdmi adapter, but I've got no way to check it currently. When I connected the monitor to my main PC I used a regular dvi cable.

Laptop specs:
CPU: Intel core i5-4288u
GPU:NVIDIA Geforce 920 MX (Intel Iris 5100)
RAM: 4GB

Any help with the problem will be much appreciated. :)

Lutfij

Titan
Have you verified that the monitor works on a donor system when you connect it native to either the DVI port or the VGA port? If so, you will need to find another adapter to connect the monitor to the laptop. Speaking of laptop, make and model/SKU to your laptop?

FlippyTheHalfwit

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Have you verified that the monitor works on a donor system when you connect it native to either the DVI port or the VGA port? If so, you will need to find another adapter to connect the monitor to the laptop. Speaking of laptop, make and model/SKU to your laptop?
Yes I connected the monitor to my main PC with just a DVI cable, and it worked fine, nothing to complain about. I'm starting to think it might be the adapter since I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. The only question is should I get a dvi to hdmi or vga to hdmi and is there a difference?

My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad 100-15ibd

TRENDING THREADS