Question Second PSU randomly shutting down on a 2 PSU’s mining rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2021
I just bought a new PSU for my mining rig but it keeps randomly shutting down after a few minutes or a few hours. I overclocked and undervolted my GPU’s the right way. The PC isn’t shutting down because it has the primary PSU running on but the second one makes a little « bip » sound avec shuts down (and all GPU’s connected into it)

Rig specifications:

Motherboard: MSI Z370 A-PRO
Ram: Corsair vengeance 2x8Go
CPU: Intel i5-8600k
Storage: SSD’s and HDD’s
Primary PSU: Corsair RM750x (24pin, CPU, 2 GPU’s)
Secondary PSU: Corsair RM750x (24pin, 3 GPU’s)

All GPU’s are RTX 3060Ti’s (ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI) and I found that max TDP of 3060Ti is 200W when not undervolting

Both PSU are connected with an Add2PSU adapter.

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

Sep 20, 2021
How is the rig configured. What risers and how do you power the risers?
I am using these risers that I bought from Amazon. Here is the link to the product page: https://www.amazon.com/Ubit-Express...d=1&keywords=risers+gpu&qid=1632913529&sr=8-3

I received sata cable with each of them but I am powering mine throught PCIE. Each GPU has its own cable connected to the PSU and I am using PCIE splitters for the GPU and its riser.

Here is the link to the PCIE 8pin to 6+2 splitters: https://www.amazon.com/Ziyituod-Spl...r&qid=1632913698&sprefix=pcie+8pin+sp&sr=8-15

Sep 20, 2021
The splitters operate like an extension. Longer the cable = more resistance = lower the voltage. What's the AWG of the splittercables?

Your GPUs have more than one 6+2 pin connector each?
Each cable is 18 AWG and each GPU only has one 6+2 pin connector.

I don’t know if it can be due to an overloaded PSU because I only have 3 GPU with total TDP of 600w on a 750w PSU.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I just bought a new PSU for my mining rig but it keeps randomly shutting down after a few minutes or a few hours. I overclocked and undervolted my GPU’s the right way. The PC isn’t shutting down because it has the primary PSU running on but the second one makes a little « bip » sound avec shuts down (and all GPU’s connected into it)

Rig specifications:

Motherboard: MSI Z370 A-PRO
Ram: Corsair vengeance 2x8Go
CPU: Intel i5-8600k
Storage: SSD’s and HDD’s
Primary PSU: Corsair RM750x (24pin, CPU, 2 GPU’s)
Secondary PSU: Corsair RM750x (24pin, 3 GPU’s)

All GPU’s are RTX 3060Ti’s (ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI) and I found that max TDP of 3060Ti is 200W when not undervolting

Both PSU are connected with an Add2PSU adapter.

Thanks to anyone who can help me!
Will the power supply cut back on without cutting the switch off or unplugging it?

Sep 20, 2021
But you don't need to turn the power switch off on the power supply or unplug it, if you had to do that then it was tripping a safety.
Yes, I don’t have to do that. Restarting the computer fix it but it is happening a few minutes after launching the miner.

At the moment I am writing this, the second PSU just turned off.

Sep 20, 2021
Only use daisy chained cables, no splitters. Put the first connector of the daisy chained cable in the GPU and the 2nd in the riser. If the cable to the riser is to short you can try an extension, but not taller than needed.
This might cause the issue but I watched this video and I did the same I don’t know if it is a hardware issue? (Credits to: Red Panda Mining)
View: https://youtu.be/zzS5iYlWm4k

Sep 20, 2021
Only use daisy chained cables, no splitters. Put the first connector of the daisy chained cable in the GPU and the 2nd in the riser. If the cable to the riser is to short you can try an extension, but not taller than needed.
I tried what you did before going to sleep. I used only daisy chained cables directly from the PSU and it didn’t work. The second PSU turned off during the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.