Nov 20, 2020
Hi all,

The first thing is the spec of my PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
GPU: Radeon RX 460x (waiting for 6800xt if stocks allow)
PSU: Corsair CP-9020097-UK VS550 ATX/EPS Vs Series 80 Plus (going to upgrade with gpu)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING AM4
RAM: KLEVV BOLT X 32GB kit (16GB x2) DDR4-3600 MHz XMP

So, when I start up my PC the bios logo shows on both screens (working monitor hdmi, d-sub not working). When I go into my bios settings it is displayed on both screens but after windows loads up it's on one. However when I take out the hdmi cable and just start windows on the d-sub monitor windows logo comes and then poof no display. PC only displays on a monitor which is connected to gpu via hmdi. This issue had only come about after I rebuilt my pc with a new cpu, storage, motherboard and ram.

Things I've done to try to fix it
  1. update bios drivers
  2. update gpu drivers
  3. change cables
What I think is, cant be something do to with a faulty gpu as I can see it being used on the bios settings, and windows loading screen as well as having all up to date drivers, it cant be a motherboard issue because nothing is connected into it as my cpu does not have integrated graphics. It can only be a windows related issue but I have no idea what!!??

Please can anyone come to a solution for this it's driving me crazy and can't work on just one monitor?

Edit - updated pc specs

UPDATE: So I completely removed the gpu drivers so I am just running the "Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor" just like in safe mode. Both screens work, however it is a duplicate, and windows only detects one screen. When I press the Windows Key + P it says "Your PC can't project to another screen. Try reinstalling the driver or use a different video card" Now, when I install the gpu drivers, new version or previous versions I get back to square 1. It cannot be an issue with the driver as previous versions of the gpu driver (when both displays worked) are not working now. I was then convinced there is a setting somewhere in the AMD Adrenalin program which needs to be checked on. I cannot find it anywhere, again I am dumbfounded.

Last edited:
Solution
For anyone who is having the same issue as me.

With the setup I have, d-sub for some reason is not supported. I had come to the conclusion that it was an AMD driver issue, which I could not fathom. I was going with the hunch that I should not have to change the wire I use as the GPU is the same but for some reason which is unknown to me when I used a Display Port cable, it works perfectly fine.

The issue is resolved but if someone can give me an explanation for it I would much appreciate it.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you reinstall the PS after you migrated to the new motherboard combo? Also your specs are incomplete. We will also need to know the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Frequency for your ram kit? I hope it's not mixed and matched.

On your desktop, press the Windows Key + P and make sure it's set to Extend.

Go into display settings and make sure both monitors are displayed.

If it was the GPU, both displays wouldn't work during POST or BIOS. It's definitely an issue isolated to windows.

Nov 20, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you reinstall the PS after you migrated to the new motherboard combo? Also your specs are incomplete. We will also need to know the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Frequency for your ram kit? I hope it's not mixed and matched.

Sorry, what do you mean by reinstalling the PS? Updated the specs maybe it will help find a solution.

Nov 20, 2020
On your desktop, press the Windows Key + P and make sure it's set to Extend.

Go into display settings and make sure both monitors are displayed.

If it was the GPU, both displays wouldn't work during POST or BIOS. It's definitely an issue isolated to windows.

Hi,

Tried this didn't work, it always reverts back to "PC screen only"

Nov 20, 2020
For anyone who is having the same issue as me.

With the setup I have, d-sub for some reason is not supported. I had come to the conclusion that it was an AMD driver issue, which I could not fathom. I was going with the hunch that I should not have to change the wire I use as the GPU is the same but for some reason which is unknown to me when I used a Display Port cable, it works perfectly fine.

The issue is resolved but if someone can give me an explanation for it I would much appreciate it.

Solution