Question Security Camera Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie9182

Commendable
Mar 13, 2020
I'm looking for a couple of security cameras to watch a couple of doorways. I don't want anything cloud-based. I want to be able to just go to my room and check the footage on my PC. What does everyone recommend?

Ralston18

Titan
Budget?

Wired or wireless?

Indoor or outdoor positioning?

Amcrest has some good cameras with varying features and corresponding pricing.

I am working with/experimenting with an indoor wireless setup - one test camera (Amcrest IP2M-841B).

Should have spent a bit more and purchased an exterior rated version - tactical error.

Wireless works fairly well but there is noticeable lag. Configuration and setup is cumbersome - especially wireless. PTZ (Pan, Tilt, Zoom) works fairly well - sensitive especially with the lag.

Multiple levels of software and hardware passwords etc..

Go to Amcrest's website and read the documentation for the camera and associated software. Get a sense of the requirements and what is necessary to set up the system you envision. IP addressing can be problematic.

Doing so will help you understand all that is (or may be) involved even if you purchase some other make and model cameras.

Reactions: Wolfie9182

gribs

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
I have this same desire, I want cameras that I can monitor from a laptop and record from wifi without installing any phone apps or using a cloud. It must have good image, be outdoors.

I view the app requirements as needlessly intrusive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.