Question Seeking Guidance: Upgrading Router for Xfinity 400 Mbps Plan to Improve Wi-Fi Performance

Sep 21, 2023
I'm not very knowledgeable about networking, but I'm looking to save money in the long run by buying my own router instead of renting one from Xfinity. I recently purchased the ARRIS SURFboard SBG10, but I haven't seen much of an improvement in my internet performance.

My family and I have an extensive smart home setup with over 10 devices connected at a time, including 4 TVs, 2 laptops, a PS4, and a PS5. We're currently on the Xfinity plan offering 400 Mbps internet speed. Given our situation, I'm considering upgrading to the ARRIS Surfboard G34. While cost is not a major concern, I want to make sure I'm making a wise investment.

Can anyone with expertise in routers and Xfinity internet plans advise me on whether the ARRIS Surfboard G34 is a good choice for my setup, how it might improve my Wi-Fi performance, and if there are any specific configuration steps I should follow to maximize its benefits?

Your insights will be greatly appreciated, as I'm looking to ensure a stable and fast internet connection for my family's entertainment and smart home needs.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm not very knowledgeable about networking, but I'm looking to save money in the long run by buying my own router instead of renting one from Xfinity. I recently purchased the ARRIS SURFboard SBG10, but I haven't seen much of an improvement in my internet performance.

My family and I have an extensive smart home setup with over 10 devices connected at a time, including 4 TVs, 2 laptops, a PS4, and a PS5. We're currently on the Xfinity plan offering 400 Mbps internet speed. Given our situation, I'm considering upgrading to the ARRIS Surfboard G34. While cost is not a major concern, I want to make sure I'm making a wise investment.

Can anyone with expertise in routers and Xfinity internet plans advise me on whether the ARRIS Surfboard G34 is a good choice for my setup, how it might improve my Wi-Fi performance, and if there are any specific configuration steps I should follow to maximize its benefits?

Your insights will be greatly appreciated, as I'm looking to ensure a stable and fast internet connection for my family's entertainment and smart home needs.
Those are both "combo" units. I usually don't recommend combo units. A single cable modem might last through three router upgrades. Or a good router could be unchanged when you switch ISPs.
The first thing I recommend is moving all your stationary devices to wired connections. If you get those TVs and game consoles to wired, then your WIFI is free for the mobile devices. Your gaming on the consoles will be much more consistent and your TVs streaming won't conflict with each other.

Sep 21, 2023
Thank you. Correct they are combo. I was told it’s the most convenient setup which is what I want. I have no plans of ever switching from Xfinity as my ISP. I’ve used them for 15 years. I’m looking to seeing if upgrading to a stronger combo router and modem is worth it or if it’s more of my 400 mbsp internet connection that needs to be upgraded.

If you buy a plan more than 400mbps you are going to have to buy a better modem.

That though will not likely make any difference with your wifi. First you have to remember that your end devices are 1/2 the connection. If you where to buy something like wifi7 rotuer (wifi 7 standard will not even be final until 2024) your end device would not be able to use it. They would still use the older 802.11ac (ie wifi5). In some cases since the newer wifi routers will run slower when then drop back to wifi5 because they have fewer internal antenna than your current router.

So it is not as simple as just buy a new router and your wifi magically gets faster.

Next the speed really doesn't matter a real lot for most wifi devices. Even stuff like 4k netflix only needs 30mbps. Only something like a large game download can use a lot of bandwidth. In general you will never see much over 300mbps on a speedtest on wifi. Again portable devices really don't need a lot of bandwidth.

You really though want anything that runs online game connected via ethernet. It does help that you can get the full 400mbps you pay for when you download but much more important you are not getting the random lag spikes caused by interference on the wifi. Note the interference is both your own wifi device as well as all the neighbors around you.

If you do get temped to upgrade I would always use a separate modem and router. The combo units have much fewer features. Partially this is because the ISP is responsible for software upgrades and support even on a device you would own. You can not upgrade the firmware even if you want to. This is ideal for people who don't care and just want things to work but it can limit your options if for example you want to be first in line to buy wifi7 when it comes out early next year.