Oct 17, 2019
hardware.
I have a ryzen 5 2600 / rx580 build on a B450 GAMING PRO CARBON A/C
My PC occasionally has intense lag spikes, where everything slows down and starts lagging heavily, as if the PC is struggling to do something. As I'm moving the mouse cursor, it lags behind along the path I'm moving it. If there's audio playing, then I hear a static/stuttering sound.
I notice this more often around the time when my PC is doing something related to the internet. Like if I'm searching for a new printer on my network, or my modem goes offline (causing my PC to lose internet), I'll have a huge lagspike on my PC for like 30 seconds, forcing me to sit there and wait til I can start using it again. It also happens everytime my PC wakes up, right before I have to type my password.
I'm not sure what causes it, it sometimes also occurs seemingly at random times, when I'm just casually using the computer.
Anyone think they can help?

Oct 17, 2019
Temps are good. I installed a new fan/heatsink a few weeks ago. Lag spikes actually became slightly less common afterward, but still existant.
I have my OS installed on my SSD, yeah.
But other software installed on an HDD.
Already done malwarebytes scan, no malware.
Hard drive health appears to be good from checking software.
What are your temps?

Do you have an SSD for your OS? You should do a hard drive test to see if your drives are going bad?

Scan your system with malwarebytes to see if your system is infected.

Oct 17, 2019
What make and model is your PSU? Has the PC always done this or has it just started more recently and got worse?
It's definitely not the power supply. i just replaced it, but CX650M.
It's been like this for a while but I can't tell you for how long.
I also used to have a serious overheating issue for about a year, before I realized my cpu fan was plugged into the wrong hole and I also replaced the whole fan entirely. Not sure if that can have anything to do with it (maybe the heat damaged something?)

So it is more on low load stuff this is happening, gaming is not where it is most noticable...correct?

Heat is the most common cause of lag as the PC throttles to protect itself, just out of interest what CPU cooler are you using at the moment. Can you see what your Temps are when the lag happens? Maybe just a re-seat and new Thermal paste application could help.

Did you use Crystal Disk to cheak you drive health? The fact the there is static on the sound could also be an indication of a codec error or as I say below a chipset/Bios issue. Another issue could be your RAM, what do you have installed and at what speed.

I would consider in this order.....

1. Update/re-install the CPU Chipset drivers from AMD, see if that helps

2. Run a RAM test as that not running properly would cause lag but not normally static in audio, but if all is OK you can at least cross it off the list of possible culprits

3. Re-seat the CPU cooler and apply new thermal paste

4. Re-install of windows as I think there is a pathway issue going on here where stuff is being sought and going to the 5 different continents before being found

5. Flash the Bios to a newer version.

Hope this helps....

Oct 17, 2019
So it is more on low load stuff this is happening, gaming is not where it is most noticable...correct?

Heat is the most common cause of lag as the PC throttles to protect itself, just out of interest what CPU cooler are you using at the moment. Can you see what your Temps are when the lag happens? Maybe just a re-seat and new Thermal paste application could help.

Did you use Crystal Disk to cheak you drive health? The fact the there is static on the sound could also be an indication of a codec error or as I say below a chipset/Bios issue. Another issue could be your RAM, what do you have installed and at what speed.

I would consider in this order.....

1. Update/re-install the CPU Chipset drivers from AMD, see if that helps

2. Run a RAM test as that not running properly would cause lag but not normally static in audio, but if all is OK you can at least cross it off the list of possible culprits

3. Re-seat the CPU cooler and apply new thermal paste

4. Re-install of windows as I think there is a pathway issue going on here where stuff is being sought and going to the 5 different continents before being found

5. Flash the Bios to a newer version.

Hope this helps....
It's not the heat, my temps are superb. I have the best/biggest cooler & heatsink on the market (Noctula NH-D15). Temps are 34C while browsing, etc. And get up to 55C under full load.
The issue became less common after I replaced the cooler but is still existant.
One thing I did just notice though, is I used a DPC latency checker. This is what they were, normally:
MdFXCTg.png

This is during the midst of a lag spike while using windows diagnostics (which said there was a problem, but couldnt figure out what):
kEsBLEj.png

This is after disabling the Wifi adapter and only using Ethernet(After -25μ s):
WjT9Ipw.png

So far the lag has seemed to reduce quite a bit, but I have to wait some more before I speak too soon.
So I'll come back and update after a while.
I will also consider your other suggestions aswell, however 2,3, and 5 have been done already