[SOLVED] Selecting a new TV

Wetles89

Distinguished
May 1, 2015
Hi.

I appologize if this is posted in the wrong section of the forum, or on the wrong site for that matter, but i need some advice in selecting a new TV.

My budget is 1000 USD max, and the fact that i live in Norway does narrow down my options to mainly Samsung and LG, with a few TCL, Philips and Sony options.

I was having a look at the Samsung q67t, q70t and q77t 55'' TV's, but i have also heard good things about the TCL models and I can get my hands on a TCL QLED800 for about 900USD.

These are all QLED options, OLED is too expecive, are there any regular LCD screens that might also be good choices?

Cheers

Solution
If you can't head to a store at all to look at them, I was looking at sets at work wile doing a few new store openings and the Samsung QLED sets looked pretty good, although with the 30 or so TVs we have on display I can't vouch for the settings on them all to be equal. They are usually setup for demo mode with a lot of color pop and brightness that many people need to tone down for in home use in a darker room. One thing I do know is that I really wish I could afford a OLED set, those are clearly the best one of the bunch. One of them had a painting on it, and I thought it was just a poster of a painting for days while walking buy it, put there as a placeholder it looked so life like.

There are probably a dozen "good" options to...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi.

I appologize if this is posted in the wrong section of the forum, or on the wrong site for that matter, but i need some advice in selecting a new TV.

My budget is 1000 USD max, and the fact that i live in Norway does narrow down my options to mainly Samsung and LG, with a few TCL, Philips and Sony options.

I was having a look at the Samsung q67t, q70t and q77t 55'' TV's, but i have also heard good things about the TCL models and I can get my hands on a TCL QLED800 for about 900USD.

These are all QLED options, OLED is too expecive, are there any regular LCD screens that might also be good choices?

Cheers
One thing that isn't obvious is to check if the TV has a coax connection. If you want to use an over-the-air antenna, you have to have a coax connection and tuner. Some TVs don't have a tuner -- so they are really monitors rather than TVs, IMO.

Wetles89

Distinguished
May 1, 2015
One thing that isn't obvious is to check if the TV has a coax connection. If you want to use an over-the-air antenna, you have to have a coax connection and tuner. Some TVs don't have a tuner -- so they are really monitors rather than TVs, IMO.
That is great advice, but can you offer some help on which TV to buy?

If you can't head to a store at all to look at them, I was looking at sets at work wile doing a few new store openings and the Samsung QLED sets looked pretty good, although with the 30 or so TVs we have on display I can't vouch for the settings on them all to be equal. They are usually setup for demo mode with a lot of color pop and brightness that many people need to tone down for in home use in a darker room. One thing I do know is that I really wish I could afford a OLED set, those are clearly the best one of the bunch. One of them had a painting on it, and I thought it was just a poster of a painting for days while walking buy it, put there as a placeholder it looked so life like.

There are probably a dozen "good" options to pick from, there is not too much difference in quality across price ranges, it's only when you start to hop to cheaper or more expensive sets that things start to be more noticeable. Between 4 $500 sets it's not easy to tell often, but between $500 and $800 sets the difference is more obvious.

Solution