[SOLVED] seperate multiple fans from single fan header (cpu fan)

Dec 16, 2021
I recently ordered a custom built gaming PC. My pc has 12 fans in it. 3 came as part of the case and others are additional. I am not able to adjust fan speed of each fan independently or in groups etc. In the BIOS I see that one the CPU fan header is showing the rpms of the fans. So I assume they are all connected to the cpu header on motherboard. The motherboard board has a cpu fan header, pump fan header and 6 case fan headers on it. All are not being used except for cppu fan header. Would it work if I disconnected the daisy chained fans and connected the fans to the separate individual headers? Any advice?

Motherboard: MSI B550 Carbon graphite wifi
Case: Thermaltake View 51
Fans: Thermaltake Riing )RBG) + 3 included with case

fans header seperate

Solution
I assume they are all connected to the cpu header on motherboard.
if installed correctly this is not how they are setup.

CPU fans would be connected directly to the CPU, & possibly CPU_OPT, header(s).
while case fans would either be connected to a powered fan hub or to individual case/system fan headers.

if these TT Riing fans are showing synced RGB patterns then they are more than likely connected to the Thermaltake controller.
should be located behind the motherboard mounting plate.

what type of control do you have over the fans' LED options from the case front I/O panel?
should be a lighting button.
I assume they are all connected to the cpu header on motherboard.
if installed correctly this is not how they are setup.

CPU fans would be connected directly to the CPU, & possibly CPU_OPT, header(s).
while case fans would either be connected to a powered fan hub or to individual case/system fan headers.

if these TT Riing fans are showing synced RGB patterns then they are more than likely connected to the Thermaltake controller.
should be located behind the motherboard mounting plate.

what type of control do you have over the fans' LED options from the case front I/O panel?
should be a lighting button.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 16, 2021
Thanks for the response. From a button on the front panel I can change the color of the two front panel fans and one rear fan that came with the Thermaltake View 51 case.

see how many available headers are left open on the built-in case hub.

if you can get all case fans connected there
and the hub offers a 4 pin out cable;
you'll be able to set them all on a similar fan speed curve and sync their LED options by connecting this PWM out cable to a system fan header.

you may need to install either Thermaltake or motherboard control software to customize them though.

Dec 16, 2021
The Thermaltake Riing fans I have are just the standard one color led model. My Thermaltake View 51 case has a built in fan controller that has the 2 front panel fans and one rear fan connected to it. The CPU fan header on the front side of the motherboard isconnected by a cable to the AIO liquid cooling that is on CPU on the motherboard. That component is also connected to jra rainbow header. Inside the back of thecase the three fans that come preinstalled in the Thermaltake View 51 areconnected to the fan hub that is preinstalled on the back side of the motherboard,visible to me when the back panel of the View 51 is removed. Now since when I look at the fans in Bios, Ionly see the CPU fan showing rpm’s, I am uncertain how all the fans, other than the 3 preinstalled fans are connected. Looking inside the back side of the View51 case I can see the thinner black cables that are running directly off of the other 5 case fans and the 3 fans that are part of the radiator unit. All of those cables are spliced into splittercables, which I suppose must also connect to a power source. None of those appear to be connected to any fan header since the only fan header that shows rpm’s n BIOS is the cpu fan. Are those fans just connected to the battery power and always run full speed? I see that scattered around the front side of the motherboard there are 6 separate system fan headers. None of these show as being used/connected in bios or upon visual inspection. Since I have 5 Riing 12 fans in the case and1 at the top near the radiator could I connect these individually to the 6 available system fan headers on the motherboard? If possible or not possible to do this, isthere such thing as a fan controller/hub for 3-pin fans that I could install to simply this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

None of those appear to be connected to any fan header since the only fan header that shows rpm’s n BIOS is the cpu fan.
3 pin fans will not show detailed RPM values.
you may have an option to control them via DC in the BIOS but then it will only be a % of power provided and not actual RPMs.
you could either connect them to individual motherboard headers and control separately them this way
or connect them all to a fan hub and run them all at the same speed through a single motherboard header.

your pre-installed case fans may just be connected to a case front I/O panel with a button.
usually button settings are; 1x press: Silent, 2x: Medium, 3x:Turbo, 4x: PWM(if available).
but this should be well described in the case user manual.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'll disagree with JohnBonhamsGhost on a couple points. A 3-pin fan CAN send its speed signal back to a mobo header to be measured and displayed, and that header CAN control the speed using the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode). No header will actually control to a tight speed target, but it will get close.

JBG is likely quite right about the three pre-installed fans - they do NOT appear to be Riing RGB Fans, and the case website says they are FIXED speed fans. So it is quite possible that they are NOT even wired as normal 3-pin fans with a speed signal sent back on Pin #3. They may have only TWO wires to them for power, and their speeds will be set solely by the voltage supplied to them, perhaps by a case-mounted button, or perhaps with no speed control at all. Check the wires on those three closely - how many?

You have not told us what AIO liquid cooling system you have. Please do post that back here - maker and model. In many such systems the PUMP mounted on the CPU chip is what has a cable plugged into your mobo CPU_FAN header, and it is that PUMP speed that your mobo will call its "CPU Fan Speed". You say that is the only speed you can "see". The speeds of the RAD FANS often are not available to you since they are not connected to a mobo header. So, trace out the wires from the RAD FANS and tell us where they are plugged in.

You tell us you have added "Thermaltake Riing RGB" fans, then say they are simple single-colour LED Fans. That is NOT the same thing. The Riing RGB fans all have adjustable multi-colour ARGB lighting in them, and that case has a lighting hub operated by a case pushbutton PLUS the ability to turn over lighting display control to a mobo header - the MSI JRAINBOW header in your case. So exactly which fans do you have? Riing RGB fans should have TWO cables from each fan. One should go to a mobo fan header or to your fan hub for speed control and power, and the other should go to your mobo's lighting hub. A simple LED Fan will have only ONE cable that goes to the fan hub, and NO second cable for its lights.