Serial ATA version

I have a Dell 4700 that has a serial ATA interface for the hard drive(s). I
would like to purchase another drive and have seen some drives on newegg.
Most drives they advertise have a Serial ATA/150 interface. They also list
drives with a serial ATA II interface.

I tried looking on the tech specs in the manual but only see the interface
listed as serial ATA.

What interface does my 4700 have?

Also, has anybody had any heat problems when using two of the drives?

Thanks.

"Art N" <an@home.com> wrote:
>Most drives they advertise have a Serial ATA/150 interface. They also list
>drives with a serial ATA II interface.

SATA II is SATA/300, and is backwards compatable with SATA/150

>What interface does my 4700 have?

AFAICT no motherboards with SATA-II are out yet, so it's a safe bet
that it's SATA(-I). Since the speed of the drive behind the interface
isn't as fast as SATA-I, there's no point to SATA-II interface speeds
at this point.

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message news:5qkrc194k4aecmgjtu4pish04vidbjslfj@4ax.com...
> "Art N" <an@home.com> wrote:
>>Most drives they advertise have a Serial ATA/150 interface. They also list
>>drives with a serial ATA II interface.
>
> SATA II is SATA/300, and is backwards compatable with SATA/150

FWIW, I recently came across an article which cautioned not to
assume a particular bitrate or certain features based purely on the
label "SATA II". Oh, here it is:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2450

Art N wrote:
> I have a Dell 4700 that has a serial ATA interface for the hard drive(s). I
> would like to purchase another drive and have seen some drives on newegg.
> Most drives they advertise have a Serial ATA/150 interface. They also list
> drives with a serial ATA II interface.
>
> I tried looking on the tech specs in the manual but only see the interface
> listed as serial ATA.
>
> What interface does my 4700 have?
>
> Also, has anybody had any heat problems when using two of the drives?

I have a Dim 8400 and no problems with 2 SATA drives as well as 2 PATA
drives (HDDs, not optical).