Can anybody tell me what Services are set to run in a brand-new installation
of Windows XP Home.

(i.e. Automatic, Manual, Disabled.....Start/Stop) for each of the services.
Is there a website, for example, that lists them one by one according to what
they should each be set to for a fresh install of Windows? Thanks.

Hi

Please see if the following helps:

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

> Hi
>
> Please see if the following helps:
>
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "soundsgood2me" <soundsgood2me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:ACCF35EE-288D-4447-BC3B-917260B5579E@microsoft.com...
>> Can anybody tell me what Services are set to run in a brand-new
>> installation
>> of Windows XP Home.
>>
>> (i.e. Automatic, Manual, Disabled.....Start/Stop) for each of the
>> services.
>> Is there a website, for example, that lists them one by one according
>> to what
>> they should each be set to for a fresh install of Windows? Thanks.

Sending the unwary to the blackviper site is a great disservice, IMO.
Blackviper's recommendations are a sledghammer that will leave the user
helpless when the computer fails to function as intended. The last time
I looked, BV had not updated recommendations for SP2 adequately and use
of any of the various levels will leave SP2 networking a shambles.

Frankly, the only site I would begin to recommend is the ElderGeek
http://www.theeldergeek.com/, and only because he publishes user
feedback on the recommendations.

bar

Depending upon the configuration of your PC some services may vary: for
example, the inclusion of an ethernet card may trigger the need for many
network services to be set as automatic start up.

One can assume that you are attempting to tune your PC and set any unrequire
items to Manual. To do this you should review all your services: Click
START> RUN type in services.msc and the list will be displaid.

Make sure that you alter only one at a time: reboot the PC and then use it
for a day; or even a week, to be sure that you have used every application or
utility on the computer without any problems. Something like Disk Defrag
will not function if Volume Shadow Copy is set to manual.