Question Setting to make my GPU fans always spin?

Oct 6, 2020
Hi.

Having issues with my GPU temperature. I notice the GPU fans starting to spin at a high temperature, and I know that's by design. But can I somehow make them start spinning at an earlier temperature in order to prevent such heat generated by the GPU? I'm having issues with my PC shutting down due to my GPU temperature reaching over 80 degrees celcius.

Specs:
ASUS ROG STRIX Z-390-F GAMING motherboard
Geforce RTX 2080Ti 11GB graphics card
Intel Core i9 9900K CPU
Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) 4000MHz RAM
Cooler Master 750 Gold full modular PSU

Cheers.

Geforce RTX 2080Ti 11GB graphics card

This is likely more of a problem with lack of case cooling honestly. Turning the fans on sooner probably won't help. However, you can try it if you want. What type of card is it? In Linux it doesn't matter, I do it with the Nvidia driver like this:

Enable cool bits (not always necessary, depends, but this shouldn't hurt anything):

sudo nvidia-xconfig --enable-all-gpus --allow-empty-initial-configuration --cool-bits=31

Then I added this to my startup to have my fans spin at a constant speed all the time (my 2080 Super were starting and stopping all the time, it was annoying) (30 being 30% speed) (there are two, as my GPU has two fans):

nvidia-settings -a "[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1" -a "[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=30"
nvidia-settings -a "[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1" -a "[fan:1]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=30"

In windows, you typically would use a vendors software. So for example, in my case, I use EVGA's Precision X1 (Link) software, it allows you to set custom fan speeds and curves. I do the same thing, set a minimum fan speed of 30%, and it ramps up from there depending on temperature.